GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 96 Chevy K1500 5.7L Rough Start Issue

Hi All,
    New here although I have been trolling around reading threads. I have a current issue with my 96 K1500 5.7L. I have found that the engine has to crank over several times to strat, mostly in a cold state. Occasionally after sitting for several days or a week the truck with fire right up on a normal key turn. Over the past year I have done a lot of work on the truck to take care of other issues not relating directly to a hard start condition, although the hard start has been a lingering problem for a while. So here goes the list of items installed in the last 6-12 months:

-All new plugs - gap checked 100%
    -Cap, Rotor and wires replaced as standard maintenance
    -New fuel pump and sending unit
    -Poppet valves replaced with upgraded MPFI unit to stop random missfire
    -Fuel Pressure Regulator replaced at time of MPFI conversion
    -Intake Maniforld and plenum gaskets replaced at time of MPFI conversion
    -Crank Position Sensor replaced due to cracked housing
    -Fuel filter replaced
    -Seafoamed through intake and injection cleaner run
    -Cats replaced as manifold was rusted through
    -Ground wires checked on engine and at fuel pump
    -Checked coil resistance per hanes manual standards - OK

I also notice that the engine idles rough for a few seconds after the vehicle starts, which indicates to me that there is still a fueling issue. But I can't seem to pinpoint it. I get no CEL other than a Bank 2 sensor 2 low voltage O2 sensor (replacing today), however all of these conditions were present before the O2 code.

Its been a while since I have checked my fuel pressure, but as I recall before and after all of the fuel components I had mid 50's fuel pressure when the engine was primed. Interestingly the fuel pressure drops off after the prime run, which I would assume is a FPR issue, but this is the 3rd FPR since the issue. Also, the same condition of fuel pressure drop occured before and after the MPFI conversion, fuel pump, sending unit, fuel filter, etc. I have the ability to data log through the OBDII if someone knows what spark advance, fuel trim, etc. should be. I can provide that info.

I had a similar problem on my 97 and ultimately replaced the coil, which cleared up the problem.

The coil had tested good before I replaced it.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    I had a similar problem on my 97 and ultimately replaced the coil, which cleared up the problem.

The coil had tested good before I replaced it.
    Thanks. I stopped by the parts store on the way home last night and bought a coil. After about 20 minutes I had the coil and my new O2 sensor in place to get rid of my bank 2 sensor 2 issue. This morning I started the truck. Same story, cranked for about 20 seconds before a very week fire and stumble until the RPM's came up to snuff. Looks like the coild addition didn't solve the problem.

Keep the suggestions coming.