GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    that is one thing i do not understand... why is it that all the 99-06 trucks seem to have 4-wheel disc brakes but then 07+ gm decided to go front discs and rear drums??? budget cuts maybe? i dont know. never made sense to see a newer truck with a sub par braking system, though im sure drums are way better than they used to be
    drums are better at disipaiting heat and long term heavy use. thats why semi brakes are all drum. why they went back to discs is a good question.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I see NOTHING I like at all - Especially the price tag. Looks like a hideous Caddy makeover all around. Too many creases and edges to buff with a power buffer, Flat sheet metal sides (like Ford) just makes door dings visible half mile away, still can't use the stake pockets for anything (Needs to accomodate a 2x4) and I wonder why GM thinks they need to re-invent the wheel every re-design?

I like the step-up on the rear bumper for bed access (took how many years after Ford did something?). Oh and my biggest peeve of all - Did the GM Designers FINALLY figure out that humans are NOT built like a Chimpanze? Our arms are not a foot or two longer than our legs. Hate how cab designs in vehicles today make you leg confortable but arms are locked straight with seat back upright making you look and feel like a dork or your comfotable in angle and arms position but your knees are in the dash or your teeth. Oh and why are the gas and brake pedals offset? Is that a Govt Reg? Thats actualy root cause for many accidents.

Toyota is looking better every year in my book.
    '13 Silverado 2500 | Crew Cab 2WD W/T | Vortec 6.0 | Diablew Tune |
    (Various Chrome items & Bestop Tonneau...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    drums are better at disipaiting heat and long term heavy use. thats why semi brakes are all drum. why they went back to discs is a good question.

Alex
    Actually disc brakes are far better at dissipating heat, theyre completely exposed to outside air, whereas drums are completely self-contained, making them a common victim of heat related brake fade.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    Actually disc brakes are far better at dissipating heat, theyre completely exposed to outside air, whereas drums are completely self-contained, making them a common victim of heat related brake fade.
    to a point yes, but drums deal with lots of heat better, more area to sink the heat into, to much heavy braking on discs warp the rotors, not so with drums....

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

it outlined a bevy of changes and updates—everything, that is, except power figures for the trucks’ equally new small-block V-8s and small-block-derived V-6 engines. When it goes on sale later this year, the Silverado and the Sierra will offer a 4.3-liter V-6, a 5.3-liter V-8, and a 6.2-liter V-8. Chevy finally has released output figures and EPA fuel-economy ratings for the mid-level, 5.3-liter V-8. Info on the other two engines will be released later.
    ----------------------
    2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!....
    a land Titanic, with a 4x4 sticker...

things like front parking assist? seriously? what was your logic that lead to that? its too big...
    "lets put in more chinese electronics!!
    what if we just make is smaller and save 2,000 lbs?
    -fire that guy"
    and just as kinda a middle finger, lets give this huge truck a teeny-tiny back window.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

I took time to go to the Chev Dealer in Stony Plain, Alberta yesterday as I am going to buy a new Silverado 4x4. Lots and Lots of 2013s on the lot, but not one salesperson came out to say hello, may I help you.

So I left.

In light of the revealing in this post, of the 2014 model , I am glad they stayed inside as I will go to another dealer in Edmonton area and look for the 2014 model.

To me, best looking are '94-'02. But I have never seen an ugly truck!
    That old man, he don't think like no old man.
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    "I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

I just got done reading about the 2014 Silverado in the Motor Trend August Issue, and I assure you this side one IMPRESSIVE Truck. And for all of you who are turned off by the front. . . Take a look at the Ford ATLAS, the front end is, is well massive. and the cheap a*& chrome is everywhere. It's like a chrome plated Abrams assault vehicle. This the best Silverado yet, more horsepower and better MPG. It's towing capacity is 12.000 pounds. Just figure how that well mean in project completion. This the best of the best, no turbo-charged 6 cylinder here. But excellent muscle from all the power plants. The interior I think is going to get you tickets for "Inattentive Driving. There's more dials and buttons than a five year old could play with. Great Truck from the New GMC & Chevy houses.

Saw my first 2014 Silverado on the road this past Saturday. I have seen them already, just not on the road. There is a dealership I pass by every day on my way home from work and they have had them on the lot for about a month now - all lined up along the road-side of the dealership. Plus, I got to see one close up a few months back at the NRA 500! Thanks again @Steve! Anyway, just thought I'd share. They are starting show up on the roads!
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast