GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    Competition also has a way of increasing their price, even on an exactly un-new vehicle, when their competition does. Like the current Silverado, base price in 2009 was $19,375. In 2013 the base price moved to $23,590. Some small changes, but not $4,000 in changes. Just the ability to "price for what the market will bear."
    Agreed, but there is a fear that people think that the 2014 Silverado will cost quite a bit more. I think it will cost about as much as the competition.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I think GM did a great job with the new silverado - they made some HUGE improvements that should put them back into the same class as the competition. Some notable improvements for me are a full sized box being available on the crew cabs, eliminating the suicide doors on the extended cabs, the step in the rear bumper, more interior space, specifically in the back seat, bench seat available on LTZ's, the new engines should kick @$$, heated cloth...there are more but those are just the ones that REALLY stick out to me.

However, I think that they really screwed up in one area on this truck that will ultimately keep me from getting one in the future. I absolutely HATE the wheel wells. Why are they so square..like literally, square. It reminds of of the avalanche when it first came out (with the ugly plastic on the side). I understand that the general aura of the truck is square...I share the opinion with many members on the site that it reminds me of the 90's silverado, but I really wish that there was some slight curvature to the wheel wells like there are to the current body style trucks.

Overall I really think that this is the truck that should make GM competitive again in the truck market. They really needed to make some changes and step up their game, I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything, but compared to the F-150 and even the new Rams, GM was REALLY behind. I just hope that this will be enough to hold off fords next design of the F-150....which they are already in the process of. Have you guys seen this: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ford-...photo-5572910/

Quote Originally Posted by Raycamaro View Post
    Chevy lost me when they refused to provide a floor shifter and dual exhaust as an option. They still have vanilla plain truck styling.
    And I'm with you, I really wish they would add a floor shifter as well. Good call!
    Last edited by 2011laserblue; 01-31-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011laserblue View Post
    I think GM did a great job with the new silverado - they made some HUGE improvements that should put them back into the same class as the competition. Some notable improvements for me are a full sized box being available on the crew cabs, eliminating the suicide doors on the half tons, the step in the rear bumper, more interior space, specifically in the back seat, bench seat on LTZ's, the new engines should kick @$$, heated cloth...there are more but those are just the ones that REALLY stick out to me.

However, I think that they really screwed up in one area on this truck that will ultimately keep me from getting one in the future. I absolutely HATE the wheel wells. Why are they so square..like literally, square. It reminds of of the avalanche when it first came out (with the ugly plastic on the side). I understand that the general aura of the truck is square...I share the opinion with many members on the site that it reminds me of the 90's silverado, but I really wish that there was some slight curvature to the wheel wells like there are to the current body style trucks.

Overall I really think that this is the truck that should make GM competitive again in the truck market. They really needed to make some changes and step up their game, I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything, but compared to the F-150 and even the new Rams, GM was REALLY behind. I just hope that this will be enough to hold off fords next design of the F-150....which they are already in the process of. Have you guys seen this: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ford-...photo-5572910/

And I'm with you, I really wish they would add a floor shifter as well. Good call!
    I actually like the more squared off wheel wells, gives the truck a more aggressive appearance. What really looks dumb are those ebay LEDs that are around the GMC's headlights, those are just plain STUPID looking. What were they thinking?

I for one liked having the "suicide" doors on an extended cab, makes it a LOT easier to unload stuff from the back seat that having 4 true doors. GM should have an option on the extended cab of having both style of doors.

GM has ALWAYS been competitive in the truck market. Heck GM sells as many if not more pickups than Ford year by year.

As far as a floor shifter, do you mean a manual transmission. If yes, I wish GM offered a manual as well. My 1998 Chevy pickup had a 5 speed and I really liked it.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

See I think it just looks weird having a square wheel well meet a round tire, but thats just me. Again, I like the ones on the current trucks...square..but not completely.

To me, I think it is easier to have four full doors...simply because you are not restricted by the front door. Just my $.02. However, I do like the fact that my ext cab rear doors open "all the way". I'm with you, the option would be nice.

The 3/4 ton and 1 ton sales for GM stayed competitive, but as far as the 1/2 tons over the past year GM was the only big 3 company to see a sales decrease while the other two increased. In fact in November 2012, Ford saw their truck sales increase 18 percent, Ram saw a sales increase of 23 percent, and GM had a sales decline 8 percent. If I'm not mistaken, the numbers did not get any better as the year progressed which is why they released the new body style early. I don't think it was supposed to come out until midyear 2014?? Could be wrong and someone correct me if I am please. Oh, and the F series pickups were the best selling vehicle in 2012, unfortunately.

When I went to the auto show last year I sat in all three..and right then and there I noticed that GM was REALLY far behind in their interior. The new truck fixes that in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of those LED's on the GMC either...I also don't like the lines around the wheel wells...I think it makes the boxy look come out even more. I definitely prefer the look of the new Silverado over the Sierra, especially the z71.

For the floor shifter, I mean this:

I don't know why I like it so much, I just do. I think it cleans up the steering wheel. I don't know..maybe I'm crazy.

I like sticks myself, but I don't see much of a need for them in the newer trucks. The transmissions keep getting better and better....I don't think you can beat the allison!

Also, I hope that no one gets the wrong idea about my comments, I'm GM through and through! Heck I work for Chevy dealer that my father owns. I just feel that they were lacking behind their competition for the past few years, but I think the new Silverado/Sierra can bring them back to where they need to be/used to be, which was/is on top!

Sources for my numbers are here:
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UQsljaVgNFI

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/12/...n-in-november/
    Last edited by 2011laserblue; 01-31-2013 at 08:33 PM.

See I think it just looks weird having a square wheel well meet a round tire, but thats just me. Again, I like the ones on the current trucks...square..but not completely.

To me, I think it is easier to have four full doors...simply because you are not restricted by the front door. Just my $.02. However, I do like the fact that my ext cab rear doors open "all the way". I'm with you, the option would be nice.

The 3/4 ton and 1 ton sales for GM stayed competitive, but as far as the 1/2 tons over the past year GM was the only big 3 company to see a sales decrease while the other two increased. In fact in November 2012, Ford saw their truck sales increase 18 percent, Ram saw a sales increase of 23 percent, and GM had a sales decline 8 percent. If I'm not mistaken, the numbers did not get any better as the year progressed which is why they released the new body style early. I don't think it was supposed to come out until midyear 2014?? Could be wrong and someone correct me if I am please. Oh, and the F series pickups were the best selling vehicle in 2012, unfortunately.

When I went to the auto show last year I sat in all three..and right then and there I noticed that GM was REALLY far behind in their interior. The new truck fixes that in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of those LED's on the GMC either...I also don't like the lines around the wheel wells...I think it makes the boxy look come out even more. I definitely prefer the look of the new Silverado over the Sierra, especially the z71.

For the floor shifter, I mean this:

I don't know why I like it so much, I just do. I think it cleans up the steering wheel. I don't know..maybe I'm crazy.

I like sticks myself, but I don't see much of a need for them in the newer trucks. The transmissions keep getting better and better....I don't think you can beat the allison!

Also, I hope that no one gets the wrong idea about my comments, I'm GM through and through! Heck I work for Chevy dealer that my father owns. I just feel that they were lacking behind their competition for the past few years, but I think the new Silverado/Sierra can bring them back to where they need to be/used to be, which was/is on top!

Sources for my numbers are here:
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UQsljaVgNFI

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/12/...n-in-november/
    That's a console shifter, GM has never had a console shifting automatic in a full size pickup to my knowledge. Having a console shifter does nothing but take up space on the console. I actually like Ram's idea of knob shifter, that way the least amount of space is used up.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    That's a console shifter, GM has never had a console shifting automatic in a full size pickup to my knowledge. Having a console shifter does nothing but take up space on the console. I actually like Ram's idea of knob shifter, that way the least amount of space is used up.
    I don't think that I could agree with you more! What a waste of space. I have not seen the dodge knob shifter that you are talking about. But, if it is anything like my wife's caravan shifter on the dash next to the steering wheel it would be better than on a console. I really don't like the way the shifter on my wife's van looks and it took a while to get used to. But, it saves space and probably cost less to produce than a column shifter.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Learn something new every day, I never knew the correct term, thanks.
    I don't believe GM has ever had one...pretty sure they have not.

I dont feel that the image shown above of that console has any less space than the current GM consoles....there is still a space in front to put things, and it looks fairly deep. Still has two cup holders.....still has room for "stuff." I don't know, I just like it.

Learn something new every day, I never knew the correct term, thanks.
    I don't believe GM has ever had one...pretty sure they have not.

I dont feel that the image shown above of that console has any less space than the current GM consoles....there is still a space in front to put things, and it looks fairly deep. Still has two cup holders.....still has room for "stuff." I don't know, I just like it.
    Yes, console shifters look nice, but they take up console space.

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler

well iv been doing lots of reading and talking with my local GM dealer, and once again it looks like GM will not be giving the option of a 6.2l or SLT or higher trim in the regular cabs as well as a couple of other options. Am i the only one now a days that thinks GM should offer any trim level and engine option no mater what the cab stile it is. I for one would order a 2014 regular cab Denali with a 6.2l if i could with floor console and shifter. I really am starting to miss the Gm of old on this regard.

Sr. Mechanic

While I agree with most of the comments here...the new Silverado is not revolutionary enough to win over any converts from the other manufacturers. In addition they really sold a lot of the 2013s. So unless we see rebate/dealer discounting to the tune of $10,000.00 off like we saw on the NNBS I don't see them selling many.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast