GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 88 Chevy 305 backfires and coughs

Hey guys,
    Any and all help is appreciated. Last week I started my truck in the AM to warm it up. Started with no problems, but after a few minutes at idle it seemed to bog down and almost die, but it would jump back up to idle. It did this twice... Leaving my house and get halfway down the road when it sputters, coughs, backfires and shuts off. I pull over and the truck starts no problem, give the truck some throttle and it does the same thing. So im going down the road at about 15 mph until it coughs one more time and everything goes normal. The truck is a 305 with 210,000 miles. Tune ups and oil changes are all done by me. Ive taken it to some local shops to see what it could be. Different answer every place. EGR valve, distributor, throttle body, injectors are what ive been told.
    Has anyone else had an issue with something like this and if so what was done to get rid of it? This is my daily driver and i dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. This is the first main issue ive had with the truck aside from general issues.

Thanks,
    Steve

Have you replaced the distributor cap and rotor? I've seen them do crazy things, similar to what you're describing.
    Good Luck and God Bless.
    Remember that if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem!