GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Mechanic

Default AV 1500 vs silverado 1500

I have own both Silverado 1500 and now and AV 1500. I thought that they were one in the same with the set up for towing capabilities until to day. Both trucks were/are Z71s 4x4. I havecould towed cars on my old silverado no problem and today i went and borrowed a buddys car hauler for the first time with my AV and it squatted the rear something awful. Nothing like my old silverado. It could handle most anything i could throw at it within reason. Is there anything i can do to make the towing capabilities better on my AV without spending alot of money? I know its classed as a suv and not really a truck but i need/want it to be both for me. Thanks

Silverados have leaf springs and Avalanches have coil springs (I believe). This allows for a much smoother ride in the Avalanche but towing capacity suffers as a result. Getting airbags for the rear suspension will add approx 1000-1500 lbs of towing capacity, and depending on the weight get a weight distributing hitch and you will notice quite a different in the squat and ride quality.
    -2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 4x4 w/ K&N CAI
    -2012 Kia Soul !
    -2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636

You also have somewhat less the total payload of a Silverado.

Using a weight distributing (equalizing) hitch will solve the problem. Even the Silverado should be using the proper hitch.

Just an FYI to the previous posters and for any future posters.................. this thread is 8 months old and the op hasn't been on the site for 4 months.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

How exactly do weight distributing hitches work? The weight of the trailer is the weight of the trailer. If you're towing a 5,000 lbs boat, the type of hitch doesn't make it weigh any less.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by cbroberts88 View Post
    Silverados have leaf springs and Avalanches have coil springs (I believe). This allows for a much smoother ride in the Avalanche but towing capacity suffers as a result. Getting airbags for the rear suspension will add approx 1000-1500 lbs of towing capacity, and depending on the weight get a weight distributing hitch and you will notice quite a different in the squat and ride quality.
    I've ridden in an Avalanche and I really cannot tell the difference in ride quality from it and my leaf spring equipped Silverado. If ride quality is such an important factor, vehicles with truck chassis should not be on the list.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I've ridden in an Avalanche and I really cannot tell the difference in ride quality from it and my leaf spring equipped Silverado. If ride quality is such an important factor, vehicles with truck chassis should not be on the list.
    Going from a Z71 Silverado to the Avalanche I was able to notice the difference. It felt like a much smoother ride going over bumps and such. I do miss the gas mileage I got with the Silverado, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cbroberts88 View Post
    Going from a Z71 Silverado to the Avalanche I was able to notice the difference. It felt like a much smoother ride going over bumps and such. I do miss the gas mileage I got with the Silverado, though.
    The Z71 is an off road suspension, so it's going to be a harsher ride. My Silverado is 2WD so its suspension is more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I rode in a 2005 suburban the other day. It rode pretty rough compared to my 2005 yukon xl. The suburban had leafs, my yukon xl has coil springs.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)