GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Legend

from the little I know about these tech II programer tools is the programer has no brain. all the data is downloaded THREW the Tech II into the PCM. the data is send for a specific vin #. so if a 2005 dash console is installed into the 2004 vehicle under a warantee program then the data sent to the vehicle will have the proper program 2005 instructions for that dash console.
    cost for the programing from GM for the tech II is over 3,ooo.oo.....all the programing is not sent to memory . every time you use the tool it is just an interface tool , and therefore must connect with GM site.

- - - Updated - - -

the people that repair these dash panels state that if the dash indicator goes out and comes back on intermittently that the problem is with the car wiring. could also be a bad fuse or socket. also a bad ground. check the body ground inder the driverseat on the frame rail.

good luck finding it.

Master Mechanic

When my cluster died out, I had a guy from http://fixmygauges.com/Clusters.html send me a re-manufactured cluster. It came with the tranny temp gauge, white back lay, as wheel as red needles. Looks great and the tranny gauge worked without a trouble.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    When my cluster died out, I had a guy from http://fixmygauges.com/Clusters.html send me a re-manufactured cluster. It came with the tranny temp gauge, white back lay, as wheel as red needles. Looks great and the tranny gauge worked without a trouble.
    When your cluster died out did it completely go out, or did you just have problems with the stepper motors or did none of your cluster work?

Master Mechanic

no it completely died. no speedo, tach, anything. Had to count the gears out for the long hauls, and was fun guessing my speed and gas levels for a month haha.

- - - Updated - - -

It acted very similar where it wouldn't work, then only certain things would work, then all would work. Thats until it completely died.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    Looks great and the tranny gauge worked without a trouble.
    There's a bit of luck involved with that, as I understand it. Some PCM's have the trans gauge enabled while others do not.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    I will ask around... A lot of that has to do with who you know and whether they are WILLING to do it. The dealership where I had mine done has been sold out and is now gone. I will see what I can find out for you tho.
    That's very much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12