GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Central Texas member

Just signed in, stumbled on this site while searching for some parts.
    I own a 2011 Sierra extended cab (red) with Texan package, just turned 12K and it is 17 months old. I purchased it when I gave my 2002 Sierra to my grandson.

That brings me to my first compaint with this new truck..... it sits too high. The wife had trouble getting in so within the first month of ownership I put 2" dropped spindles on the front and lower the rear by adding shackles and pulling that factory installed "raising' block.
    This helped but it is still a little high. About the same time I added a Gibson 3" cat-back system. Even with a lower final drive, cylinder deactivation and a 6 speed transmission, it gets about the same road mileage as the 2002.

It is a nice truck and I would probably buy the same thing again but why doesn't GM offer Chevy and GMC trucks with a "City Package" for those of us that never get off paved roads and seldom haul anything heaver than our golf clubs? A little less stiff ride and get the heigth down to the point you do not need a running board to get into the vehicle.

I suspect someone has posted about the 1 1/8 thick aluminum block that raises the rear. It is between the spring and axel to raise the rear. My 02 did not have one so it was added later. I have the standard cloth seats and the seatback has already been replaced because of wear and it looks like the seat cushion cover is next. The '02 had 92K and the seats looked like new. The dealer did the replacement promptly and without any hassle....... in fact great service.

I just viewed the release video for the 2014 trucks and while they don't look that different, it will be interesting to see them live.
    The extended cab doors open at the rear....so the front door does not need to be open to open the rear door. The video said it was for access in parking lots.

I will check in later, if there are any post on lowering the late models, please post a link or title.

I am a technical advisor for the Buick club and spend a lot of time on that forum.

Welcome!

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard..............

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Welcome to GMTC, glad to have you here.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

to the GMTC

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Welcome to the site @barney;. You've got the best written member intro we've had in a while. Let me know what you're looking for as to dropping your truck and softening up the ride, we get a majority of interest going the other way actually.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Welcome to the club! There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, and can help with the lowering and softer ride. The raised and stiff rear is for loading purposes, which when loaded makes the truck ride better.
    Bill M. Blown 2003 Tahoe Z71