GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 2000 suburban help (with maintenace, gas mileage, performance, )

hi? i just bought a 2000 suburban lt with 185k miles.

since i just bought the vehicle, i notice that when i start it the brake pedal jumps or kicks up.

what am i suppose to do to prepare this vehicle last me for a long time?

and what am i suppose to do to get better gas mileage?

and what mods am i to do to increase performance?

what am i suppose to look for?

what is your advice for me?

the center console. at the back of it, it has RAC plug in inputs what are they for?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rzkas View Post
    hi? i just bought a 2000 suburban lt with 185k miles.

since i just bought the vehicle, i notice that when i start it the brake pedal jumps or kicks up.
    That's normal, at least if you have the power brakes that run off the power steering hydraulics. I think all the 2500 suburbans and maybe some of the 1500 suburbans have that system.

what am i suppose to do to prepare this vehicle last me for a long time?
    Lots of preventative maintenance. Get any oil leaks fixed, and change all the fluids every year or two.

and what am i suppose to do to get better gas mileage?
    Dude, nobody gets good gas mileage with a suburban. If you want good gas mileage go get a Prius or something. Suburbans are for hauling a load of people and stuff all over the place.

and what mods am i to do to increase performance?
    Depends on which engine you have and how much money you want to spend. I'm not aware of any cheap mods that make much difference. If you have an 8.1 there's a place called Raylar power systems that has modified heads, cams, and pistons you can install but it ain't going to be cheap.

what is your advice for me?
    Change fluids often especially if you work it hard, especially the transmission. Find and fix any leaks unless it's something like the rear main seal that is too expensive to be worth fussing with. Have the front end aligned and the brakes checked.

the center console. at the back of it, it has RAC plug in inputs what are they for?
    I believe those are for the rear seat DVD player.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

The plugs are so someone in the rear seat can listen to a cd while you listen to the radio, or vice versa, It is also for the rear dvd player if equiped

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

it a 2500 with 6.0 . the car has a dvd player installed on the passenger side bottom center console and it has alpine screens on the headrest of the front seats. i have not tried them but i see a light turn on when the car is on