GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Have you hugged your temporary spare today?

Well, probably not, but hopefully you've put air in it in the last few months. Most people love to hate them, actually. You can post up with whatever measure of love or hate you have for these things if you really want.

But the real tech questions here are: how long do these things last in the trunk, and what do you do after that?

Seems like I'm in charge of fleet maintenance for my adult children and they all have cars older than 10 years old so it would stand to reason that the temporary spares in them have "aged out," if you believe, even a little, that unused tires age out.

So, should I replace them? With what, a real tire? Or another temporary spare? Where do you get one?
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

I had a blowout recently and went to the donut tire ... it got me like five miles before it deflated ... so the moral of the story is to check at least 1x annually and fill with air before you need it.
    Last edited by Steve; 12-18-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

I would believe that if it was in the trunk then it would be okay. Maybe check psi once in a while. I was balancing my tires and just happened to check my spare. Good think I did cause it was at 20 psi. Should have been around 37 like my other tires. But it is 17 years old.
    -K&N Air Filter

Blog Entries

wow......thanks for the reminder to check it ....
    Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

There are Silverados and Sierras that have temp spares?

This makes me think I should check my almost 18 year old spare. It is totally factory and on the factory rim. I will have to check the pressure. Of course I can't use it because it is larger then my current tires. It is a real tire not a true spare. I also need a new rim for it.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-17_11-32-28_432.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	47055

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    This makes me think I should check my almost 18 year old spare. It is totally factory and on the factory rim. I will have to check the pressure. Of course I can't use it because it is larger then my current tires. It is a real tire not a true spare. I also need a new rim for it.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-17_11-32-28_432.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	47055
    Even if the tire is too big, it will still get you home unless you lowered your Tahoe.

I remember the days when GM used 5 lug on 2WD and 6 lug on 4WD. Never did understand why GM did that. Now GM uses the same lug pattern on all 1/2 ton 2WD and 4WD models.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Even if the tire is too big, it will still get you home unless you lowered your Tahoe.
    Maybe. Even a small size mismatch on the rear axle will damage a limited-slip rear axle fairly quickly, because it will cause overheating. If you're running 4wd you can't have a mismatch between front and rear, either, or you run the risk of driveline damage.

Just yesterday I replaced my oversized spare with a new one that matches the other four.

People in the off-road trail riding community place great emphasis on having a matching spare since with that kind of driving you may find yourself in a situation where anything less won't get you out of whatever part of the back country you were in when you got the flat. I don't do much trail running any more but I do think there's a certain amount of logic to that if you use your truck in a way that requires the 4wd more than once in a great while.

I know last time i checked my spare was around 3 months ago. but i havent been driving it so i really havent checked it. Also my spare has never been used, the rim still looks gorgeous, and the tire still has those lil pricks on them that come off from driving it.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

I have a limited slip rear, also in the winter I drive in 4wd when ever it snows. When I replace my tires I will be getting tires that are the same size as my spare, actually they will be the newer version of the tire on the spare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast