GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How to adjust park brake ~ 2004 GMC Yukon

I recently bought an '04 GMC Yukon XL. The driver's brakes work fine but the park brake goes all the way to the floor. I'm familiar with older style brakes and for those the park brake cables could be adjusted. Is that still possible with these?
    Thanks,
    Wes

If it has drums then just back up and tap the brakes a couple times that should reset them, I'm not sure about disks tho.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I'll be Conlan's wing-man on this thread. If you have disks, most trucks require that the rotor be removed and the parking shoe adjusted so that the rotor jams when going back on, the adjustment is then backed off a little to let the rotor go on without drag.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Nothing has changed, really -- there's a cable and you can adjust it.

Your Yukon has the combined rear discs and drums with the tophat-shaped rotors. Discs for the regular brake, little drum brakes for the parking brake. I believe there are star wheel adjusters for the drums.

I'm going to be taking my rear brakes apart on my 2004 in the next couple of weeks and am more or less planning on replacing all the parking brake components -- cables, shoes, hardware -- while I'm at it.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by wwilkens View Post
    I recently bought an '04 GMC Yukon XL. The driver's brakes work fine but the park brake goes all the way to the floor. I'm familiar with older style brakes and for those the park brake cables could be adjusted. Is that still possible with these?
    Thanks,
    Wes
    Yes, there is a star adjuster in there. I suggest that you pull the brakes apart and have a look. The shoes may be worn. They are really easy to change after you get the drum/rotor off. There is one bolt that goes thru a hold down and that is it. I have seen many that just need adjusted. I usually adjust the star adjuster, I take the drum off, adjust it out, put it back on and check it. You really don't need them to drag like the old style drum brakes. They are just a parking brake so constant contact or super tight clearances are not necessary. Alternatively, you can adjust the cable. But, I prefer to take it apart so I know what is going on inside.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wwilkens View Post
    Thanks,
    Wes
    Yes, there is a star adjuster in there. I suggest that you pull the brakes apart and have a look. The shoes may be worn. They are really easy to change after you get the drum/rotor off. There is one bolt that goes thru a hold down and that is it. I have seen many that just need adjusted. I usually adjust the star adjuster, I take the drum off, adjust it out, put it back on and check it. You really don't need them to drag like the old style drum brakes. They are just a parking brake so constant contact or super tight clearances are not necessary. Alternatively, you can adjust the cable. But, I prefer to take it apart so I know what is going on inside.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Pikey, how did you do that?........................................tryin g to up the post count
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)