GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Will aftermarket trailer brake controller interface with Stbilitrak and TSC?

I have a 2013 Silverado and it did not come with a trailer brake controller. I know that GM trucks now come with Trailer Sway Control that works in conjunction with Stabilitrak.

My question is if I hook an aftermarket trailer brake controller, will it be able to interface with the Stabilitrak and TSC?

Thanks.

Are you looking for a specific unit? That would make answering the question a little bit easier and save some time. Or are you just starting out and trying to see what options are available?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I have a 2013 Silverado and it did not come with a trailer brake controller. I know that GM trucks now come with Trailer Sway Control that works in conjunction with Stabilitrak.

My question is if I hook an aftermarket trailer brake controller, will it be able to interface with the Stabilitrak and TSC?

Thanks.
    No.

There are some aftermarket units out there that connect to the OBD-II port and sense braking effort that way.

Many people in the towing community don't believe that "TSC" is helpful. Trailer sway is more safely and reliably controlled through proper hitching.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    No.

There are some aftermarket units out there that connect to the OBD-II port and sense braking effort that way.

Many people in the towing community don't believe that "TSC" is helpful. Trailer sway is more safely and reliably controlled through proper hitching.
    Is it possible to hook up the factory trailer brake controller to a Silverado not equipped with it?

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Is it possible to hook up the factory trailer brake controller to a Silverado not equipped with it?
    I've looked into it, and it appears to be factory only. GM calls it an intergrated trailer brake controller (RPO = JL1), there appears to be a number of modules and harnesses required to add it, along with a flash to the PCM.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I've looked into it, and it appears to be factory only. GM calls it an intergrated trailer brake controller (RPO = JL1), there appears to be a number of modules and harnesses required to add it, along with a flash to the PCM.
    The dealer I bought my truck from did not order it on the MSRP $44K LTZ I bought. I would have liked that and a factory sunroof. The Nav can be gotten with an OGM-1.

Sr. Mechanic

A Prodigy brake controller and a PROPERLY SET UP WD Hitch will be satisfactory. Google Equalizer Sway Control.

Quote Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
    A Prodigy brake controller and a PROPERLY SET UP WD Hitch will be satisfactory.
    WE know, but like stchman, I like the clean look of the factory install.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I have a Husky Excursion hooked up to my 2012 (that didn't have the factory brake controller). I don't think that it utilizes the Traction Control / Stabilitrack / ABS systems that the truck has; I don't see how the trailer brake controller could see what they're doing. But, then again, I don't really think I've been in a position to where I had to actually rely on those systems, so I may be mistaken..
    2012 Silverado 1500
    2004 Silverado 1500 (SOLD): http://tinyurl.com/JRD761sTruck
    1977 Silverado C20:
    http://tinyurl.com/JRD761-1977-C20

I know of no aftermarket brake controller that's engineered to work with Stabilitrak and TSC. High end proportional brake controllers tie into the master cylinder and detect pressure changes, there, to determine how much brake force to apply. The mid-grade proportional units use accelerometers to detect pitch changes in order to determine how much brake force to apply. The low end time-delayed brake controllers apply a user-settable (based on trailer weight) amount of braking force delayed across a given amount of time after the brake pedal is pressed -- with the idea being to apply a little force soon after the pedal is pressed and then ever more (up to max) as the pedal remains pressed.

Note that none of these approaches are aware of Stabilitrak or TSC...