GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Is this illegal? Really? Too many Christmas Lights???

A friend sent me this yesterday...... I see a number of cars where people put maybe 1 or 2 strings of Christmas lights on them but this? what do you think?http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/15/t...est=latestnews

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/vi...g&VID=23959015

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lights-truck.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	47056

Nobody likes getting a ticket from the police, but a $300 fine given to David Hill of Wichita, KS could prove to be some of the cheapest PR a charity could receive. Hill had his Ford F-350 Super Duty covered in 856 Christmas lights to help raise awareness to his charity, One Spark Can Start a Fire, when a Wichita police officer pulled him over and ticketed him for being a distraction on the road and illegally displaying red and blue lights on a vehicle (although it's hard to believe that anyone could confuse this truck for any sort of emergency vehicle).

The lights were attached to the truck using magnets and powered by an 8,000-Watt generator mounted in the bed of the truck. The lights are a great way to draw local attention to his charity, but Hill sees the ticket as a way he can draw even more attention to One Spark, which is a non-profit organization intent on performing random acts of kindness such as collecting clothes and providing food for the homeless, according to the organization's Facebook page.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 12-18-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: added image, photo and quote in the body to make it more interesting.

I find putting Christmas lights on a vehicle to be tacky. I will say that when I was 16 years old, I did put them in the back window of my 95 silverado. But, I am older now and my view has changed. To each his own. If the guy wants 25000 lights on his truck that is fine with me. I guess that he should make sure that there are no blue and red bulbs. There is a Minivan that drives around near my parents house with a giant Menorah on top. I mean this thing has to be 5 -6 foot tall on top of the van. They have guy wires connect to the front and rear bumpers to stop it from blowing off. this one is nothing compared to the size of the one I have seen http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...9,r:0,s:0,i:90

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Blog Entries

that's the spirit.............I think if it was for Charity ...what the hay!!!...but, maybe the
    police could have suggested to him to replace red and blue bulbs with other
    colours rather then ticket him. I'll bet the scene/report does way more to boost the Charity
    now then before with just the lights....Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

I would not do it. I can see how it could be a hazard on the road. If you like i do it, but if illegal that is your problem as well. The thing that bothers me just a little is that poor paint job (it has to be scratch it up), But it is a Ford..
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

I see a Mini Cooper who has a strand of lights just on his antenna. Looks a little tacky, but hey, hes go the Christmas spirit lol. As for the ticket, I would have just given a warning.
    -K&N Air Filter

In the state of CT they are legal but you can not have any blue or red. This also goes for under body lights. In CT laws are fairly lax and not enforced. To register a vehicle as a motor vehicle it just has to have wheels, proper lights, drivers seatbelt, mover under its own power and reach 45 mph, and pass emissions.

Also light law in CT are lax, you are required to have two head lights. Rules for driving light are that while the head lights are on you may have one pair of driving lights on, pair of fog lights on or a pair of aux lights on but only one may be on while the head lights are on.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Sounds like a country song.

"Too many lights? What's that mean? It's like too much money, there's no such thing ..."

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.