GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Stretching when first started?

I hear other truck do it. Is it that common? Is it fixable?

It sounds like a belt. I check the belt and it seems tight enough and good, when I first start the truck after sitting for a couple of hours especially in the morning. It only does it for a minute. Just a little annoying. It has done it pretty much the whole time I have owned it.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

How many miles do you have on the truck? Also usually screeching indicates a worn belt. It may also be a worn pulley. I would remove the belt and spin each pulley to see if they are moving smoothly.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

42,000 miles. The belt is good. i will check the pulley this weekend. It did when I first bought it and it had 30,000 miles

Blog Entries

morning, Curky..we have had cars and vans over the years where a brand new belt would screech and squeal for what seemed months. I used to spray it every week or so with Wd-40. Makes a mess, but it works. Ultimately, we chnaged brands of belts and it went away. One thing is, keep the screeching belt around for a spare .......ya' never know......have a good day Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Curky, I'm going to add to the growing list supporting a belt change.

I had the same problem with an '05 Envoy. The belt looked great, but, there was a squeal every morning for a min, or so, a new belt solved the problem.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Thank you everyone..... Looks like I know what I am doing first. So, suggestions on the belt?

AC Delco or Goodyear Gator back.

A couple things.

Belt squeak occurs more at startup than when running mainly because the alternator presents a heavier load to the belt. In cold weather the power steering pump does, too, because the oil is more viscous. So to troubleshoot belt problems you can let the truck sit with the engine stopped and the headlights on for 20 minutes or whatever and then the alternator will kick out some serious amperage when you start the truck, and if you have belt problems they'll show up.

The tensioner is a regular replacement item and although they are expensive they should be replaced if there is any play in them.

Finally if the belt is behaving badly check the pulley alignment with a straightedge. I was pulling my hair out trying to get the belt to quit squeaking on a 1997 Intrepid and it turns out the previous owner had JB-welded one of the power steering pump mounting studs and got a big ball of goo on the back of the pump so it didn't seat in the bracket quite straight. I had to replace the pump and pulley and put on a new belt (the old one was more stretched on one side than the other) to get everything to work properly. Never would have found that if I hadn't got out the straightedge and checked the pulley alignment.

Hopefully any previous owners in your vehicle's life weren't that clueless but loose mounting bolts, bent pulleys or shafts, or worn bearings can cause misalignment too.

There are some crap belts out there being sold so stick with the name brands, Dayton, Gates, Goodyear, etc.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer