GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Why do people call the G80 a "Gov Lock"

I tried Googling why and come up with nothing.

Thanks.

Because it contains a governor-like system of weights and springs that senses speed differential between wheels, and locks the diff if the speed differential exceeds some threshold.

gov lock = governor lock.

It's not really a governor but since the 1700s people have been calling any sort of mechanical speed sensitive device a governor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_governor
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    Because it contains a governor-like system of weights and springs that senses speed differential between wheels, and locks the diff if the speed differential exceeds some threshold.

gov lock = governor lock.

It's not really a governor but since the 1700s people have been calling any sort of mechanical speed sensitive device a governor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_governor
    I was kind of figuring that, but with everybody calling GM "Government" Motors, I thought it might have been more people being an SA.

Gov-lock is GM's name for the differential. G80 is the RPO code used by GM to identify the option. Its was introduced by GM in the newly redesigned 1973 trucks as the G86 option, an upgrade from the G80 which was a clutch type limited slip also known as Positraction. In 1974 the Positraction diff was discontinued and the G80 code was moved to the Gov-Lock. Eaton, the company that manufactures the differential, calls it the MLocker.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

boonie...that is a beautiful suburban, man. i had a '97 tahoe during a period when i was driving 60k per year. i put 242K on that bad boy with no engine or running gear issues at all. when i sold it, it used not a spoonful of oil between changes (5,000 miles, with synthetic). i don't think they build them like that anymore.

jim

Legend

I don't know why its called by some GOV lock because this G80 is called by most the eaton locker diff.

go here to learn all about the eaton M locker used on our trucks http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_314766

M is for mechanical. they also make a E locker that is electrical ...