GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Lightbulb 2008 sierra 1500 crew cab 5.3 vortec

i am trying to get serious power but so far i got a k&n 57-3058, pacesetter headers and y pipe and magnaflow exhaust .and bully dog gt gas tuner 40410.what will be my next step ?

More cylinders? It's a 5.3.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by sparks956 View Post
    i am trying to get serious power but so far i got a k&n 57-3058, pacesetter headers and y pipe and magnaflow exhaust .and bully dog gt gas tuner 40410.what will be my next step ?
    How much power are you looking for?

IMO, the CAI kit from K&N will not give you more HP, the Silverado already has a CAI. With that being said, the free flowing tube will help a little bit.

When you tuned your engine did you use a premium fuel tune?

IMHO, the CAI, headers, and magnaflow will give you very little improvement other than near the top of the rpm limit. if you want to feel more hp and torque all the way through, and improve shifting, take a look at nelsonperformance dot com. For about $300, they will reprogram your ECM to give you just about any level of performance an internally stock 5.3 is capable of. I have a friend who had them do his, and it is pretty impressive over what it was before. I am going to have them do mine when I get some free $$$.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by sparks956 View Post
    I would look into a custom tune. Send @06MonteSS a PM. He is a vendor on the forum and does custom tunes for your specific vehicle with diablo programmers. There are many satisfied customers of his here. Because you log data and it send to him and he customizes fuel trim etc.. for your motor it should unlock more HP than the "boxed" tune that you get with the bully dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    IMHO, the CAI, headers, and magnaflow will give you very little improvement other than near the top of the rpm limit. if you want to feel more hp and torque all the way through, and improve shifting, take a look at nelsonperformance dot com. For about $300, they will reprogram your ECM to give you just about any level of performance an internally stock 5.3 is capable of. I have a friend who had them do his, and it is pretty impressive over what it was before. I am going to have them do mine when I get some free $$$.

jim
    While this custom tune sounds good, does it give you the ability to revert back to stock programming if you ever have an issue and need to have any kind of diagnostic work done? Dealers or any shop for that matter can not do diagnostics using the tech II or any other scan tool with a custom tune unless it is reverted back to stock. Yes, they can read codes and so on, but they can not tell if something is within spec or if the tune is causing things to behave differently than what the stock program tells it to. At least with a programmer you can revert back to stock if needed. plus you have the ability to monitor things, change programming for tire size and gear ratio, and clear codes right from your tuner rather than having to pull out your ecm and send it back to them to have it adjusted. I looked into that company. You tell them what you have and they send you a used ecm that is reprogrammed, you then send yours back to them. I prefer to keep my ecm and have it programmed via a tuner. That way I am not stuck with their program on my truck. Again, if there is an issue you are screwed

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

On top of a custom tune from lew I'd throw in a cam and stall converter. If you wanna do alil more polish your throttle body and upgrade springs when you do the cam. Other than that you gotta look at spending some dough on a supercharger and/or heads. Then that'll lead to tranny and rear end work. What gears are you running?
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod