GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    There is also a rule of thumb regarding tire width as it relates to rim width. I can't remember exactly what it is (someone will probably respond with the info if you need it) but I think if the tire is 4 1/2" wider than the rim, that may be too much and you'll have to change rims as well.
    The best rule of thumb is to check with the manufacturer as to the maximum size tire for which a wheel is designed ... and stay within that spec.

Quote Originally Posted by lifted03z71 View Post
    The truck is a 1500 with stock gears and axles, there's 186k on the truck now and hasn't had any problems as far as axles go, thanks for the help
    You haven't stressed it, yet. If you move to shorter gears to restore lost torque and add even more stress with 37's (heavier than your 35's) and then go wheel it in mud pits or the like because you have the 37's to do it ... the axle and diff will be at risk, as what's in a 1500 is lighter duty than what's in 2500's. That's all I was trying to warn you about. If you just want a pavement monster you should have no problems...

If I upgraded to a 37 12.50 would the tires still rub? I trimmed the front bumper on the bottom so that it would eliminate any rubbing on the bumpe

It's tough to say. Even though your width would remain the same as what you currently have, you'd be increasing the diameter by 2 more inches, which could have interesting effects when you've got the wheel turned all the way in one direction, when your shocks are compressed, and most probably when both occur at the same time.

You should probably take some measurements with your truck in each of those conditions and see if you have 2 more inches of clearance. It won't be a perfect answer but it'll give you a pretty good idea of whether or not you've got more trimming to do if you upsize by another 2 inches in diameter.

With tires the size you are looking into it isn't the back I would be the most concerned with. It's the front! The front IFS suspension is at the upper range of being capable with 35's. 37's to me is asking for trouble. Why? The added weight of the tire which adds additional stress to what concider a "weak" suspension. If you plan to wheel this at all you will be replacing parts real quick.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12