GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Do the 2000-2006 model years allow me to load 4x8 sheets?

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about replacing my 2005 Toyota Tundra longbed with a Suburban. I assumed that all Suburbans would allow me to load 4x8 sheet goods in my back. My wife and I went to a local dealer to check out a late-model 'burb. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the second-row seats tumble forward but don't fold flat! What the heck...

They didn't have any used 2000-2006 generation models on the lot. Do these years provide a flat cargo surface for sliding 4x8 sheet goods into the back? If so, I might be able to talk 'the boss' into going for a low-mileage '06 instead.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
    My wife and I went to a local dealer to check out a late-model 'burb. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the second-row seats tumble forward but don't fold flat! l!
    Chris, welcome to the site, my Avalanche ('09) is based upon the Suburban, my rear ('burb's middle) seat tumble forward; however, I have no problem getting 4x8 sheets into the truck and closing the tail-gate.

The seats might tumble, but it will hold a 4x8 inside the truck.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

The 2nd row do tumble forward but the remaining length provides sufficient clearance for 4x8 sheet goods with the rear hatch closed. I've done it.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

in my 2003 and my 2005 yukon xl's my second row folds forward. The bottom of the seat is lifted and then the back folds onto the floor. This makes a level surface with the floor that the third row seat sits on. There are panels connected to the back of the second row seats, these panels close any gaps on the floor. Essentially giving you a carpeted covered truck bed. I fit full sheets of plywood and drywall in them with no issue. The lift gate closes with no issues when the sheets are in it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

The suburban has amazing cargo room, I have seen one with a regular sized kayak in side with out a problem. Really you can fit almost anything in a Burban even more then you can in an ext. cab or crew cab pick up. Tahoe(Yukon) is the only large SUV GM makes that you cant fit 4x8 sheet goods, but you can fit 4x6+ which makes it equal to a extended cab pick up bed. GM has always badged the Suburban as on of the more useful vehicles they have ever built, with the cargo capacities of a pick-up, towing just less of a reg truck, seating for up to 9, and extreme comfort and luxury.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I'll take a picture tomorrow and show you how the fold... You'll be fine to get them in.. I got 6 footers in my Tahoe the other day. You'll definitely be able to fit them in a Burb.. My older burb had 8ft of cargo space, easily...
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

you can fit more in a burban than a pick up right, since when.... for one off loads of 4x8 sheets of anything a burb might be fine, but if you look at a full size pickup (meaning any truck, extended or crew cab with an 8ft bed) you can fit more in it than a burban...... its kinda like the avalanche concept.......

In a crew cab truck you have a full size front and rear enclosed seat and an 8ft bed for 4x8's........ and if you put one of those god awful grandpa bed covers on it, you have all the rear space of the burban.

The trick is how many people want to drive a 22ft long truck vs. an 18ft long burban.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    In a crew cab truck you have a full size front and rear enclosed seat and an 8ft bed for 4x8's........ and if you put one of those god awful grandpa bed covers on it, you have all the rear space of the burban.

The trick is how many people want to drive a 22ft long truck vs. an 18ft long burban.
    That's exactly where I am now. I have one of those grandpa caps on my longbed regular cab truck (I bought it for functionality, not looks). Those four-door long bed trucks make the Suburban feel like a compact car.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for the information! This is great to hear. Between the 4x8 sheet goods issue and the oil consumption horror stories I've heard about the 2007+ 5.3L vehicles, it looks like I'll be shopping for a 2005/2006 'burb!

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    you can fit more in a burban than a pick up right, since when.... for one off loads of 4x8 sheets of anything a burb might be fine, but if you look at a full size pickup (meaning any truck, extended or crew cab with an 8ft bed) you can fit more in it than a burban...... its kinda like the avalanche concept.......

There's more to it than that.

Sure, a pickup has more open bed space, and if you put SOME sort of cover on it then you have, well, covered space. I went that way for a while and depending on your situation it may be just right. Sometimes you don't want to ride in the same room with the cargo. Sometimes you need the whole 8' bed and still want room for 2nd row passengers. Or maybe you sometimes pull a 5er or you are hauling bulky stuff that would be too high to fit under the 'burb's roof.

The thing with a truck bed is that no matter what kind of cover you get it's never going to have the security, the raintightness, or the climate control of the back of a 'burb. If you have open seats in your pickup you can use them for the critical items but if you have a family of five and a pickup well then the guitar and the dog and the rifles and the lettuce are going to have to go in back because that's the only place they'll fit.

Right now I have both a pickup and a 'burb, different days bring different situations and I choose the right truck.

the fact that they tumble forward and don't fold flat does reduce the cargo area slightly. and you have to remove the third row seat completely as well. the older suburbans (late 90's) used to fold down flat if I remember correctly. you can also lay some long framing lumber down thru the center of the suburban as well. after owning pickup and conversion vans, I prefer the amount of carrying in space in my suburban to any of the others. just pick up a cheap trailer for hauling the cargo that you can't put in the burb...horse manure, garbage or a refridgerator.
    89 chevy stepside off road
    03 suburban Z71
    03 Yukon SLT

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by