GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Should I get it?

I have a 1996 k1500 burb with a 5.7 and the 4l60e w/corvette servo. Max towing on it is 5000lb and I just did a 400 mi trip towing a 4900lb trailer. It got there just fine, cruised the whole way in 3rd and never used overdrive, but on flat ground I could barley get to 55. I got to 59 once on a downhill! After the trip I looked on craigslist and I found a 2001 k2500 burb with a 6.0 and the 4l80e (i assume). Do you think I would notice much of a difference with the 3/4 ton burb or not? The weight didn't seem very unruly at all and seemed to tow just fine, except that it was completely gutless.

I am actually considering replacing the current burb with something that would do a better job. The extra added challenge is that my wife will use it as her daily driver and I have four kids, so a pickup is out of the question...unless somebody knows a cheap, safe, awesome way to add seats. Any ideas?
    1996 Chevy Suburban 4x4 5.7L 4l60e - 158k+mi and running strong
    Air Raid Cold Air intake
    Flowmaster dual exhaust
    TBI spacer

Yes. You should get it... Newer, LS engine, 3/4 ton... What's the down side?
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Yes. You should get it... Newer, LS engine, 3/4 ton... What's the down side?
    I just don't know how much of an improvement it would be.
    6.0 -
    Horsepower 315 @ 5000 RPM
    Torque (lb-ft) 365 @ 4000 RPM

5.7 -
    Horsepower 255 @ 4600 RPM
    Torque (lb-ft) 330 @ 2800 RPM

I know the 6.0 has more torque at a higher rpm, but I don't want to cruise at 4000rpm.

I am just curious to know how much of a noticeable difference there would be between the two trucks.
    1996 Chevy Suburban 4x4 5.7L 4l60e - 158k+mi and running strong
    Air Raid Cold Air intake
    Flowmaster dual exhaust
    TBI spacer

I love my 6.0l... Pulls my toyhauler like its not even back there. At cruising speed 65 mph I run at 2 - 2.5k rpm. Of course I have allot of mods done to my truck such as cold air intake headers and programmer.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

I would say do it, if you are towing a heavy trailer all the time. It will burn a little more gas.....

@senorschmidt, before I weigh in on your question I'd like to know what gear ratio you've got in your 1500. I mention this because your gearing may well be the culprit of the 'gutless' towing you mentioned. 4.10's would be adequate for towing the weight you described. 3.73's would be a bit of a dog, but I'd not expect them to be 'gutless' unless you're lifted and modded and such in addition to doing the towing. If your gears are longer than 3.73's, then I'd definitely expect your vehicle to have no grunt when towing that weight.

Your max towing is 5000lb? How is that possible, the Tahoe of the same year which I own has a Towing capacity of 7,000lb with towing package(of course you must take in to account weight distributing and ratio). Check out your ratio if it is a 3.42 that explains your gutless towing, if it is 3.73 it shouldn't be too bad. My scoutmaster has a 98' with 4.10's and and it tows over 7,000 with out a problem with the same engine and tranny.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Jr. Engineer

I would go for it, if the price is right. It was designed for towing.