GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Newbie here from NJ, have questions!

Hello all. I'm a newbie here from NJ. I have a few questions regarding a 2001 Silverado I've got. I'm 15 years old (youngin, I know), but I do have some knowledge with these trucks. Now since this is going to be my first vehicle, I don't plan to do any serious modification to it. I want to keep the engine bone stock. I was thinking of maybe putting an exhaust on it, but that's it. Right now, the truck is my Dad's, but he will be passing it down to me when I get my license. It is a 2001, 2500 4.8, all white, extended bed, extended cab. It has 97,XXX miles on it and runs great. My Dad got the truck through work a couple years back. Always frequent oil changes, transmission fluid changes, everything was kept up with and my Dad keeps it in tip top shape. Last year, my Dad and I put an all new sound system in it, and it really does sound great!

It has some body damage. It was an operations vehicle at a private airport. A few little dings and dents, but other than that its pretty good. Minimal rust, as well. The clear coat is completely chipping off the hood and the roof of the cab.

Now here are where my questions come in:

1st) The interior of the truck is pretty ugly. This truck has the bare essentials. Manual locks, manual windows, no radio, and an ugly dark blue interior color. I'm interested in possibly swapping out the entire interior of the truck, IF POSSIBLE. Keep in mind, I am young, and I do not know much. Are there any newer model Silverados that have swap-able interiors? I really would like to know. My Dad and I are very mechanical and we do quite a bit of custom fabrication, so we can do whatever is necessary IF POSSIBLE. I read somewhere that dashes are easy it swap? I'm not sure though. Input would be much appreciated.

2nd) Like I said earlier, the exterior of the truck is OK, but I'd like to make it look nicer. My Dad and I have access to an autobody spraying booth through his job, and we are considering taking the truck to his job over the Summer of 2013 and repainting the entire exterior (white). It would really make a major difference in the look of the truck, since the clear coat is all chipping and what not. What do you guys think?

3rd) I also noticed that on the passenger side door, all of the weather strip is gone. I want to replace it. Anytime the truck exceeds about 35 mph, the sound of air passing through the door fills the interior of the truck, and gets quite annoying. Sort of like a "whistle". Where can I get weather strip? And what would be involved in replacing it?

Other than that, those pretty much sum up all my questions. Like I said, its my first vehicle and I don't want to invest too much $$$$ into it. The truck runs great and I foresee me getting a lot of use out of it.

Welcome to GMTC, good to have you here. Hope you can find the answer to your questions
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Hello and Welcome.. There are many upgrades that can be done to that year Silverado. First off go to a supermarket or book store and pick up a Truckin' mag or just look through out this site and you will get Many ideas and members to help you put together your dream ride...

Where in NJ are you?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you with us.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

You lucky that your truck is older, lots of aftermarket parts available! Don't wreck it!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953bowtieguy View Post
    Welcome to GMTC, good to have you here. Hope you can find the answer to your questions
    Thanks man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Hello and Welcome.. There are many upgrades that can be done to that year Silverado. First off go to a supermarket or book store and pick up a Truckin' mag or just look through out this site and you will get Many ideas and members to help you put together your dream ride...

Where in NJ are you?
    Cool man, I'll look around for a magazine or two. I'm in Northern NJ, in Morris County.

Quote Originally Posted by donyms View Post
    Welcome to the club, it's good to have you with us.
    Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by nikkeshelton View Post
    You lucky that your truck is older, lots of aftermarket parts available! Don't wreck it!!
    I don't plan on wrecking it, hahaha!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

nice I was there last night in Montville.. I'm in Bergen..

Welcome!

Welcome to the club!!

For stock parts check out websites like LMCtruck and jcwhitney. Replacing the weather stipping shouldn't be that expensive. I think it is sold as a kit so you can replace all of it.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_B View Post
    Hello all. I'm a newbie here from NJ
    Welcome

The interior of the truck is pretty ugly. This truck has the bare essentials. Manual locks, manual windows, no radio, and an ugly dark blue interior color. I'm interested in possibly swapping out the entire interior of the truck, IF POSSIBLE. Keep in mind, I am young, and I do not know much. Are there any newer model Silverados that have swap-able interiors? I really would like to know. My Dad and I are very mechanical and we do quite a bit of custom fabrication, so we can do whatever is necessary IF POSSIBLE. I read somewhere that dashes are easy it swap? I'm not sure though. Input would be much appreciated.
    In general the interior components have to be swapped one at a time. You may find that some of the wiring harness components are missing if you do this. While it is possible to graft in pieces of wiring harness to support e.g. power heated seats and power windows, this is beyond the skill of most people unfamiliar with automotive wiring.

2nd) Like I said earlier, the exterior of the truck is OK, but I'd like to make it look nicer. My Dad and I have access to an autobody spraying booth through his job, and we are considering taking the truck to his job over the Summer of 2013 and repainting the entire exterior (white). It would really make a major difference in the look of the truck, since the clear coat is all chipping and what not. What do you guys think?
    I don't have the patience for paint work. Most of the time is spent in preparation -- sanding, disassembly, masking -- and cleanup and reassembly afterwards. Spray gun work requires skill borne only of experience so get someone who has done it before -- a lot -- if you decide to do this.

3rd) I also noticed that on the passenger side door, all of the weather strip is gone. I want to replace it. Anytime the truck exceeds about 35 mph, the sound of air passing through the door fills the interior of the truck, and gets quite annoying. Sort of like a "whistle". Where can I get weather strip? And what would be involved in replacing it?
    Get thee the necessary weatherstrip components and a tube of weatherstrip adhesive from any parts place and go to it
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by