GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default snow in Dallas area - taking AWD traverse out in snow & ice

Haha I've had the traverse for about two months and today will be my first time driving in snow and ice and checking out the all wheel drive system.

I'll try to upload some pics when i get back from my little trip.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got to move this to the proper forum. but the traverse handles wonderfully in snow and ice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1225121417.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	47364
    My Dad's 2005 4WD Trailblazer EXT is in the background. He had no problem getting through the snow and ice either. My mother-in-law's Malibu, in the bottom-left foreground, didn't do so well, I had to drive her home as she nearly spun out getting out of the driveway and turning around as she was going home later in the afternoon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1225121417a.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	47365 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1102121820.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	47366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1102121820a.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	47367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1102121820b.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	47368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1223121238.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	47369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1223121238a.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	47370
    The AWD system in my 2010 Traverse didn't let me down! Here are some photos from the last few weeks. I especially thought that the rear "differential" was interesting in the AWD setup.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 12-27-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Good to see you werent one of the drivers bouncing off of the bridge abutments on 287 tonight. I sae at least 15 wrecks between 20 and the Broad street exit 360 going north a fee hours later was only slightly better.

Ya my dad didn't have the same story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_2012-12-25-15-53-24[1].jpg  

They keep saying the right person will come. I think mine is my truck.

"No offense" means "I'm about to insult you,but don't get mad."

Sorry to hear that. :-(

Glad to report no problems starting or stopping. I even went over a iced-over bridge and give it an extra punch and the traction-control lights kicked on and helped me stay straight. I'm got to say that I'm very impressed.

Hope your dad's ok, BlackSmoke*. Look at the bright side ... now he can ditch that dodge and get a Chevy or GMC!

When I lived in Austin (~12 years) the times we got ice/snow cracked me up, as no one knew how to drive in it and people in their 4x4's would go out and think they could just cruise down the road because they had 4wd. I tended to see more trucks and SUV's in ditches than cars!

Hope your dad's ok, BlackSmoke*. Look at the bright side ... now he can ditch that dodge and get a Chevy or GMC!

My dad was just shook up.
    My family has always loved GM products but both my parents were out of a job for two years and because of that he had to let his 2001 Chevy Silverado get repossessed. He was then out of a vehicle for more than 2 years. He eventually was able to get another vehicle but he could never find a Chevy or a GMC that he could afford so he settled on a Dodge because he has a few friends that own them and they all love them. My dad doesn't mind the dodge but it is a much rougher ride, runs on higher RPM's, gets bad gas mileage, and doesn't have the get up and go that his Chevy had. Also when he would put it on cruise control it couldn't keep up the speed on the slightest hills. Lets just say if his insurance company says that they aren't going to fix it he is gonna be getting another GM truck. He said he may wait for the new 2014 GM trucks to come out and see about getting one of them but he has a feeling that they are going to be way to high in price.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSmoke* View Post
    He said he may wait for the new 2014 GM trucks to come out and see about getting one of them but he has a feeling that they are going to be way to high in price.
    I have that same feeling...

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post

When I lived in Austin (~12 years) the times we got ice/snow cracked me up, as no one knew how to drive in it and people in their 4x4's would go out and think they could just cruise down the road because they had 4wd. I tended to see more trucks and SUV's in ditches than cars!
    This is true! ALL vehicles have 4-wheel brakes.

So then, 4WD or AWD, and even Anti-lock brakes for that matter, are just technological advances that give you the ability to drive better in bad weather.

Other factors like your speed, the type of road surface (fresh snow, compact snow, slush, snow and ice, ice patches, black ice, sanded/salted roads ...) and the condition of your tires along with other factors like your driving skills and reaction times ... all work together to keep you either going in the direction that you want to go, going in a direction that you don't want to go, or getting yourself stuck!

I drive in snow in 2wd with junky tires no problem. Have I slipped a little, yah, but usually I have no problem. I have driven a Traverse before in snow and they are amazing. Also great brakes.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door