GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Converting all my MP3's to Flac files now that I have a way to listen to them

    So I am able to listen to Flac files in the truck now through my head unit so I am going through all the CD's I own and re-ripping them to flac instead of MP3. You can clearly hear a difference.

    MP3 is still good for most as it is so widely accepted.

    The way I am doing it, is putting the flac files on my cell phone and using blue tooth to connect to the head unit, which then plays the blue tooth audio over the speakers.

    It will be nice when I can just put the flac files on a thumb drive and plug it into the head unit though....

  2. #2

    Default

    Sorry, what's the flac file? I don't think I've heard of that technology before.

    Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

    Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Sorry, what's the flac file? I don't think I've heard of that technology before.
    FLAC stands for:

    Free Losless Audio CODEC. It's as close to CD as it can possibly get while still being compressed audio.

  4. #4

    Default

    I guess I worded it wrong too...... Flac's made from MP3's would be a waste of time. I am actually going through and re-ripping all my CD's to Flac files.

    But yes as stchman said, Flac is a "lossless" compressed digital audio format.

    The only way I can play them through the stereo in the truck is by putting them on my phone and then blue toothing them to the stereo, which is not bad, but I really want to just plug a thumb drive into the head unit like we do for MP3's; which isn't going to happen at the moment.

    I am done with about 150 cd's so far.... its something to do when the weather is bad and I can't work on stuff outside.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I guess I worded it wrong too...... Flac's made from MP3's would be a waste of time. I am actually going through and re-ripping all my CD's to Flac files.

    But yes as stchman said, Flac is a "lossless" compressed digital audio format.

    The only way I can play them through the stereo in the truck is by putting them on my phone and then blue toothing them to the stereo, which is not bad, but I really want to just plug a thumb drive into the head unit like we do for MP3's; which isn't going to happen at the moment.

    I am done with about 150 cd's so far.... its something to do when the weather is bad and I can't work on stuff outside.
    IMO, using your phone via bluetooth to play FLAC media is a waste of time.
    Since the stock GM head unit won't read .flac files, I would rip your CDs using LAME VBR. The resulting music file will have ~270K sampling size and should be more than sufficient for car audio use. You can then put these files on a USB flash drive and away you go. If you don't have access to LAME, just use 256K or better sampling size. IMO, the audio quality will be indistinguishable from the CD in the Bose setup in your truck.

    IMO, the Bose sound system in the Silverado and Sierra isn't the greatest setup. The Bose system is pretty good, but not world class.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    IMO, using your phone via bluetooth to play FLAC media is a waste of time.
    Since the stock GM head unit won't read .flac files, I would rip your CDs using LAME VBR. The resulting music file will have ~270K sampling size and should be more than sufficient for car audio use. You can then put these files on a USB flash drive and away you go. If you don't have access to LAME, just use 256K or better sampling size. IMO, the audio quality will be indistinguishable from the CD in the Bose setup in your truck.

    IMO, the Bose sound system in the Silverado and Sierra isn't the greatest setup. The Bose system is pretty good, but not world class.

    I am using winamp pro and the mp3's are at 320k.... they are nice but not as good as flac. I am playing them through a kenwood excelon with focal speakers... not JBL's or Sony, or Pioneer speakers.

    270k or 320k MP3's don't cut it ( as much time as I spend driving, the music better be better than good )

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I am using winamp pro and the mp3's are at 320k.... they are nice but not as good as flac. I am playing them through a kenwood excelon with focal speakers... not JBL's or Sony, or Pioneer speakers.

    270k or 320k MP3's don't cut it ( as much time as I spend driving, the music better be better than good )
    Unless you have an EXCEPTIONALLY($5000 or more) high end system in your truck, you're not going to hear the difference between 270K-320K MP3 and FLAC. Even if you did, then I'd still say you aren't going to hear the difference.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Unless you have an EXCEPTIONALLY($5000 or more) high end system in your truck, you're not going to hear the difference between 270K-320K MP3 and FLAC. Even if you did, then I'd still say you aren't going to hear the difference.
    Stchman,

    While I respect your opinion, you are completely wrong. I have taken a CD and ripped it at 96k, 192k, and 320k, and then flac. Put them all on the same device (Iphone/Ipod, Android phone) as far as flac on IOS, you have to use AFlac because apple is special.

    Using the cheap apple or samsung headphone's even an un-trained ear can tell you that the higher the bit rate, the better the music sounds.

    This would also apply to the bottom of the line bose, jbl, infinity stuff that GM installs in our trucks and SUV's. If you spend $5000 + on a car stereo and speakers, then the difference is even more apparent; but it can be seen with the cheap junk also.

    Next time you buy a CD, play the CD in the car and then a 320k MP3 without upgrading your stereo or speakers. Hands down there is no way anyone can claim the 320k MP3 sounds as good as the CD did (which is a tad higher quality than the flac file).

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Stchman,

    While I respect your opinion, you are completely wrong. I have taken a CD and ripped it at 96k, 192k, and 320k, and then flac. Put them all on the same device (Iphone/Ipod, Android phone) as far as flac on IOS, you have to use AFlac because apple is special.

    Using the cheap apple or samsung headphone's even an un-trained ear can tell you that the higher the bit rate, the better the music sounds.

    This would also apply to the bottom of the line bose, jbl, infinity stuff that GM installs in our trucks and SUV's. If you spend $5000 + on a car stereo and speakers, then the difference is even more apparent; but it can be seen with the cheap junk also.

    Next time you buy a CD, play the CD in the car and then a 320k MP3 without upgrading your stereo or speakers. Hands down there is no way anyone can claim the 320k MP3 sounds as good as the CD did (which is a tad higher quality than the flac file).
    I have and cannot tell the difference, however, if you can hear the differences, you must have exceptional hearing. Also, if you believe that there is a difference, that's all that counts.

Similar Threads

  1. Alright Everybody, Listen Up, I Need Help!! Quickly!
    By DrakeC504 in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last: 09-30-2012, 02:14 AM
  2. What do you listen to while driving?
    By TrailLeadr in forum POLLing place
    Replies: 114
    Last: 03-19-2012, 01:19 AM
  3. What kind of music you listen to when working?
    By MD4x4 Fireman in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 103
    Last: 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
  4. What kind of music do you listen to?
    By GoFastPadre in forum The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last: 06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
  5. Listen up
    By 2COR517 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last: 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •