GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default New Battery.. Any recommendations?

Hey guys,

Lately my truck has been hard to start first thing in the morning and looks like the battery is going bad. Any one recommend a certain brand replacement?

I like Diehard Platinum batteries from Sears. They're rebranded Odyssey batteries, cheaper than Odyssey batteries, have a stellar warranty, and there are brick & mortar Sears location across the country where you could leverage that warranty if you needed to do so.

I have had good luck with Autozone Duralast , good warranty and find them anywhere. if you get the gold series no BS warranty 3 years free replacement after that they pro rate . Used them for years

Quote Originally Posted by gamc View Post
    I have had good luck with Autozone Duralast , good warranty and find them anywhere. if you get the gold series no BS warranty 3 years free replacement after that they pro rate . Used them for years
    I second this! I had my battery die like totally dead 0% charge and it still started my truck and ran it when my alternator died. They replaced it no questions asked. Of course I also bought a new alternator from them. My battery is a Gold Series with 800cca and 1000ca. The truck always starts.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I probably should have mentioned that the Diehard Platinum warranty is 4 years (no BS) ... with another 4 years of pro-rated coverage.

Years ago I had an Exide battery. Basically it was like a HUGE deisel truck item...lasted 12 years and had it in 3 vehicles!!!!!!
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Most of the batteries out there have a similar warranty, get whichever is the least expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Most of the batteries out there have a similar warranty, get whichever is the least expensive.
    I agree that they all have about the same warranty. But, some batteries are crap. I had a the best battery advanceautoparts sold and it failed after a few months. Yes, they replaced it for free. But, it was a hassle to deal with. I know a few guys that have had issues with the batteries from advance. I never had an issue with a duralast. I have had interstate that lasted for ever. The thing is that many batteries are made by the same company and just rebranded. So, if you thing you found what you want, do a google search and find out what other batteries that company makes. Like surreal said, you might get an odyssey cheaper if you by the diehard,
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-27-2012 at 01:43 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I think I am going with the Duralast Platinum.. The sears site doesn't show the platinum version available for my truck.. only the gold version. I have a '10 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 V8 Flex

Legend

My opinion is do not get a sears battery. every one I had internally broke.

the exide battery has been working for many years now 6 plus. the ac delco batteries I have had 7 yrs of service with them then starting to loose cranking power.

with sears diehard they open and you go from power to zero . then you get stuck.

- - - Updated - - -

before install charge the battery first.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by