GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The buttons are known for being junk... Some people recommend cleaning the connections or re-soldering to fix the problem... The part is cheap enough, and simple to install...

00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

If you had the trans done last year, I would crawl under the truck and check out the connections around the Tcase. I bought a used 2003 yukon xl that had a trans replaced a year before. One day while driving the service 4 wheel drive message came up. The buttons became useless! I crawled under the truck and found a connector that the trans shop did not put the locking pin back thru. I pulled the connector apart, then pushed it together, put the pin in and the message went away. It never came back.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    If you had the trans done last year, I would crawl under the truck and check out the connections around the Tcase. I bought a used 2003 yukon xl that had a trans replaced a year before. One day while driving the service 4 wheel drive message came up. The buttons became useless! I crawled under the truck and found a connector that the trans shop did not put the locking pin back thru. I pulled the connector apart, then pushed it together, put the pin in and the message went away. It never came back.
    I'll have to check that while im changing fluids. Im not real familiar with the underside, as shes been pretty trouble free. @Kady awesomme link. thats exactly my issue! Curious as to what a shop would charge to change the fluid. Weather here in central pa is COLD and snowy, and I have no garage, so getting this done myself may have to wait a while

Legend

I have repaired the 4wd select switch. solder joints were not properly done [cold].

with this failure the 4wd light comes on when driving in 2wd normal driving conditions. then on restart is off until some time in the new driving cycle it may come on again.

this is because the PCM is programed to run on board system tests. like the fuel evap system etc.. when this 4wd control system is checked the switch circuits are monitored and if it is incorrect the service 4wd light comes on. or if any other component in the 4wd system is in error.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    I have repaired the 4wd select switch. solder joints were not properly done [cold].

with this failure the 4wd light comes on when driving in 2wd normal driving conditions. then on restart is off until some time in the new driving cycle it may come on again.

this is because the PCM is programed to run on board system tests. like the fuel evap system etc.. when this 4wd control system is checked the switch circuits are monitored and if it is incorrect the service 4wd light comes on. or if any other component in the 4wd system is in error.

So swapping out the switch helped you too?

Jr. Engineer

in my experince a bad switch will cause the light to come on. i do not remeber the code in the transfercase date but its there.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Legend

what I did was re solder the joints on the circuit board/switch . very easy with the correct soldering iron.takes about 30 min. most would just replace the switch but are those solder joints good ????

I believe its cost is about 40.oo...

this was done many years ago. that was the only problem I have had with the drivetrain. about 40,ooomi.just out of warrantee.

Just as an FYI, I replaced the selector switch and changed my front transfer case fluid. Ran it in the snow for a couple miles with no error. Resolved. Thanks a MILLION!

Legend

the switch even if it appears to work will throw this service 4wd light. this is because the computer does a diagnostic check of this component. if the solder joints are bad even if not in 4wd , the service 4wd light will come on...many have had this occur.. the switch solder joints are a widespread GM defect. soldered in Mexico !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12