GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default HELP!!? Pushrods Frozen?

Hi everyone, new to this forum. Working on a family member's '02 Sonoma.

2.2 Liter motor (4 cyl). No start condition. Ran well (initially after long sit), father in law parked it in afternoon, and next morning (yay) no start.

Has good spark, for good measure tried new plugs and wires.

Has good fuel pressure and volume to fuel rail... considered that may have picked up trash at injectors...

Then checked compression... 110 psi on #4 (firewall side). Cylinders 1,2,3 had ZERO compression (and yes checked multiple times and tried 2 different compression gauges wondering if shraeder valve was sticking)...

Anyways, leak down test proved air blowing out intake and exhaust like crazy, no noticeable crankcase leaking (I assumed rings were still good considering well running 24 hours previous).

So... tore cylinder head down. NOW THE QUESTION: the pushrods on the suspect cylinders 1,2,3 were pinned between the head and the rocker arms (not in their respective rocker arms' places. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED?? Please ote the coolant level was low (about 1 gallon). COuld the hydralic lifters have "frozen" causing the pushrods to get pinned?? The Cylinder head appears in okay condition, as well as the head gasket which I thought would be the culprit.

Now the motor is torn down, please throw ANY ideas or comments my way, somewhat novice to these motors trying to brainstorm for causes, but more importantly any resulting damages and correct fix. The pushrods don't appear bent either, so replace all as precaution? I have new gasket set and reman-ed cylinder head in hand but don't want to throw it back together without proper fix.

Thanks!!!

inspect for any abnormal wear on the cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, valves etc. check for any bent valves, bent pushrods, damaged pistons. if nothing is found maybe put it backtog;ether and make sure everything is put back together dead on right?
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Quote Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
    inspect for any abnormal wear on the cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, valves etc. check for any bent valves, bent pushrods, damaged pistons. if nothing is found maybe put it backtog;ether and make sure everything is put back together dead on right?
    I'm doing a good visual tomorrow and hoping to find a machinists flat edge (or table would be awesome) to check parts by.

How do you propose I check the cam for wear? Can it be removed easily enough? Or are you meaning some sort of dial indicator setup? thanks for the quick replies.

I'm not very familiar with the 2.2 but I didn't know if u could peek down at the cam and see if there was any obvious scoring or damage. By All means if u want to measure the lobes with a dial indicated the more power to u!
    Last edited by a.graham52; 12-27-2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: cell phone as crazy stupid auto correct.