GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Grinding, no reverse few questions.

Today we got a pretty good snow storm going where I live, and the g/f wanted a pop form the store half a block away. I got a 99 Silverado 5.7 4x4. So I jump in the truck for a quick run to the store. I pull out of the drive way, some tire spin on the snow and ice, completely intentional. Pull into the store grab pop, and back in truck. I pull back onto the road and hear this awful grinding when I break traction. Immediately off the gas, and it goes away. Give her the gas again, same awful grind.

Pull into the back yard to see If i can figure it out. Any time it breaks traction that grinding comes back, but sitting at a idle or rolling it is fine. 2 wheel, 4 wheel, only grinding when I break traction. Toss it in reverse to back out of the yard, and grinding starts again w/o even taking my foot off the brake. If I let of brake and give it gas there is no power, will not reverse, the whole time it makes the grinding noise so I don't give it a lot of effort before I abandon that and push it back onto driveway. Any ideas?

I checked my local Craigslist and found a 4l60e out of a 99 jimmy 4x4, if it is major tranny problem, will that transmission swap in?

I am a bit of a "back yard" mechanic, anytime something breaks I fix it myself, but its awfully cold and snowing out and the garage is to full to pull the truck in at the moment. Not crawling under it or cleaning out the bay till at least tomorrow, when it lets up.

Any advise or insight is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by gpingu87; 12-26-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: grammer

Here's you're issue, (and mine). I have a '99 Yukon that the transmission went bad in and I replaced it. What I found was that in the '99 Chevy and GMC trucks, you HAVE to stay within the vehicle that you have when it comes to transmission. I'm guessing that you have a 4L60E. I found that only a transmission (4L60E) from a '99 Tahoe or '99 Yukon would fit my '99 Yukon and nothing else because of the year specs, gearing, and length of the transmission. (wrong length and driveshafts will have to be changed.) You also have to take into consideration of it being an extended cab truck or 4 door body vehicle, in regards to length of vehicle.

The gearing is a big issue also. If you get a transmission that does not match your vehicle, then there is a very good chance that the gearing is going to be off and not a match. The result is a burnt out transmission. I replaced my tranny with a used one that was supposedly garaunteed to fit my vehicle, tested and proven to be in good working order, from a salvage yard. There's a reason they call them "Junk Yards". They were wrong to the tune of a $1300 bill after the mechanics tab.

Your best bet is to find you a transmission that came out of a vehicle similar to your own...or...go with a reman. When I shopped around for a reman they were upwards of $1500 plus core. I couldn't afford that and pay a mechanic too. Oh, and my mechanic was a transmission guy.

Good luck

The planetary gearset or sun shell is prob cracked. You do need a trans unforunatly. Your better bet is to find someone to build yours if you plan on keeping it as this is a common fail. You can swap in another full size 4x4 but it will take work to change over parts and partly disassemble it. I would stay within your model and weight (1500 etc).
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Akennedy View Post
    Here's you're issue, (and mine). I have a '99 Yukon that the transmission went bad in and I replaced it. What I found was that in the '99 Chevy and GMC trucks, you HAVE to stay within the vehicle that you have when it comes to transmission. I'm guessing that you have a 4L60E. I found that only a transmission (4L60E) from a '99 Tahoe or '99 Yukon would fit my '99 Yukon and nothing else because of the year specs, gearing, and length of the transmission. (wrong length and driveshafts will have to be changed.) You also have to take into consideration of it being an extended cab truck or 4 door body vehicle, in regards to length of vehicle.

The gearing is a big issue also. If you get a transmission that does not match your vehicle, then there is a very good chance that the gearing is going to be off and not a match. The result is a burnt out transmission. I replaced my tranny with a used one that was supposedly garaunteed to fit my vehicle, tested and proven to be in good working order, from a salvage yard. There's a reason they call them "Junk Yards". They were wrong to the tune of a $1300 bill after the mechanics tab.

Your best bet is to find you a transmission that came out of a vehicle similar to your own...or...go with a reman. When I shopped around for a reman they were upwards of $1500 plus core. I couldn't afford that and pay a mechanic too. Oh, and my mechanic was a transmission guy.

Good luck
    when your transmission fails I would first consider repair of the as built OEM tranny. rebuilt transmissions from other vehicles usually cause problems. scap yard replacement from the same year and vehicle with a good going over , and rebuild is the other option I would consider , if the vehicles transmission is beyond repair do to severe damage.