GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Mod for external throttle control?

I'm in need of a way to preset (and maintain) the RPM's at a fixed point somewhere between 1000-2000 while the truck is sitting still ... without being in the cab with my foot on the gas. I specifically want this for use when winching and/or when running the engine-driven air compressor.

I've looked for a throttle control mod and found the ETM-64 Electronic Throttle Controller (by InPower Direct), but I was hoping for a lower tech mod of some kind. Heck some kind of cruise control for idling would be stellar.

Has anyone tinkered on the 99-06's who can point me in the right direction?

I think you posted something similar to this a couple months ago. I think you can use the existing throttle cable and find a way to pull it back and lock it. My idea was more elaborate in the past thread I think. It shouldn't be hard to attach to the throttle control and just hold it in place.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Holding an elevated idle on the 2004 trucks would be difficult because they have electronic throttle bodies - no throttle cable to work with.

One thought would be to rig up a small electronic actuator that could push on the gas pedal. Use a momentary DPDT switch to control in/out and it will let you set your idle at whatever level you want. I would expect the brackets needed for that to be fairly simple to make - it would just need one to mount the actuator to the dash and some type of foot to ensure it reliably pushes the pedal without slipping. The biggest problem I see would be that the bracket to mount the actuator could be significantly more complex to make if your SLT has the power adjustable pedals.

Other than that, since GM only offers high idle programming on the Duramax, I think your only options would be to go with an aftermarket computer/electronic setup, or to figure out the accelerator pedal/throttle body wiring to see if they can be modified.

Based on the wiring diagrams, it looks like you could use a rheostat to apply voltage to the throttle body motor control wires, which would in turn increase your idle, but with all of the electronics in the throttle body and accelerator pedal (including A LOT of sensors) I'm pretty sure you'd end up with a check engine light if the throttle body position didn't match where it was supposed to be.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

jam a stick between the seat and the pedal...
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Quote Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
    jam a stick between the seat and the pedal...
    Thats about as low tech as it gets
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member