GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2011 silverado tool box mount

I have a 2011 silverado 1500 short bed. I got a kobalt(maxe by better built) toolbox for it that is a little over 12"wide. I also got their grip rite (also made by better built) no drill mounting kit for it. The problem I'm having is, on the inside of the bed, about the front 10" of the bed is boxed in around the rail, and the mount will not work. Anyone else have this problem and come up with a solution without drilling? Thanks

Anyone have any ideas?

How has everyone else mounted theirs?

I have an 07 and found that the easiest way was to just go ahead and drill. I drilled one hole on each side and put one bolt with two normal washers, one on each side, and two small rubber washers that go closest to the hole on each side. Its been pouring rain where i live and there is no leak at all. I know some people dont like to drill it but it really doesnt mess anything up and it for sure isnt coming off. When the company installed it they used one J bolt on each side and that was pitiful.....it slid to the back. When i drilled i just left those there and tightened them for extra support. Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are totally against drilling you can put a piece of rubber or something down right under the toolbox on each side and just use a couple of J bolts on each side...as long as they are tightened well they should work fine.
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have had toolbox's in all my trucks, and I always used the "J" bolts as mentioned above. I did have the odd occurance of over tightening the bolts, and actually bowed out my bed rails pretty bad.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

i just have j bolts holding my toolbox, hasnt shifted yet.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

J bolts won't work because of the bed rail being boxed in and the thinner toolbox.