GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '94 5.7L coolant temp fluctuation

The coolant temp on my 1994 5.7L Silverado varies widely. When I first begin to drive it gradually rises up to 210 then suddenly drops to about 150. I changed the thermostat (old one was 195 too) but no change. I've also topped off the coolant several times....about a pint each time. Heater return hose is hot. It's obvious that the thermostat is doing its job but why does it go so low? Is this common? If not what is the cause?

I was having a similar problem and replacing the thermostat fixed it. It is common as the trucks age and usually replacing the thermostat or flushing the coolant fixes it. Have you checked to see if you are leaking any coolant? Also when you replaced the thermostat did you flush the coolant? Contaminated coolant can damage the new thermostat.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

The rise would indicate a closed t-stat, and the sudden drop would indicate an opening t-stat. The condition is normal, the amount of drop seems excessive.

You didn't show your location on your profile; if your in Alaska, that drop might be normal; Florida, not so much.

If it is cold where you are, the outside air is cooling the rad down too fast. Your fan should stop when the rad cools down, maybe it's turning all the time.

Covering part of the rad will probably stop it.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

He has a 94' that year has a mechanical fan that is always running.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

It just seems odd to me. I thought it might affect the ECM control since it looks for a minimum of 170. I guess I won't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    He has a 94' that year has a mechanical fan that is always running.
    Your good, thanks again
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

The ECM only cares about the temp of the O2 sensors and MAF. Only when engine temp goes to high does the ECM change fan speed, even though usually this is caused by the A/C running so really the fan is adjusting for that.. The fan has a clutch that allows it to change speeds, but it still runs at all times. The fans on these trucks are electro-mechanical and usually just go at engine rpm but can speed up and slow down a bit. The fan can run without the engine running but only when the A/C is on and the ignition is set to on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Your good, thanks again
    Your welcome, I'm very well educated in my trucks generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I'm very well educated in my trucks generation.
    Self taught, no doubt
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Self taught, no doubt
    Its amazing what Google, Wiki, and other sites can tell you. Also it says it in the owners manual
    Last edited by Conlan Rose; 12-31-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Bad spelling...

Legend

with the 1994 engine the temp should slowly rise and not over shoot then not drop too low.

the temp should slowly rise to about 180-190 deg area.

if the hoses are hot also both heater hoses then this can be the temp sender . I had this issue this year on a S10 truck. the connector to this may also be corroded.

the pcm does look at the engine temp to vary fuel mixtures when cold. colder the engine the injectors open longer.

other temp erratic operation may mean head gasket. as the exhaust gets to the coolant it does mess up the coolant flow. water pump does not pump air well.

pressure testing the coolant system is recommended.