GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Apprentice

Question Loads of Q's from a new owner

Ok so new battery installed and plugs too so now to the questions that probably have been asked millions of times.

1. Do you drive yours in Auto 4wd or 2wd? Which is better for the vehicle/tranny/transfer case and which is better on milage?
    2. Have you replaced your exhaust system? Mine is going out, you can hear the rattling of the cat somewhere.
    3. Can I bypass the stereo mid console and hook up headphones directly to the above dvd player? Previous owners killed all the switches.
    4. Someone installed a weird switch for the stereo. It's a toggle and it loud one way with ipod but loud other way with regular radio. What the heck?
    What do you have in your garage?
    02 Burb Z71/97 Blazer LT
    Nuttin but bowties!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joshua T

I only can answer number one. Drive in 2wd in all normal driving put it in auto in variable conditions like it is snowing and some roads are clear and others are covered.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

1) 2wd, better MPG, less wear on front end components. I seldom use auto 4. I either put in in 4hi in 6 or more inches of snow or 2wd. The truck is so heavy that I could get away with never using 4wd, but it is there so why not. We had 8 inches of snow 2 days ago, I only put in 4wd to "exercise" the system and let lubricant move around in it. I never broke traction until I purposely fish tailed it around a corner.

2) are you sure that it is not just a loose heat shield? easy cheap fix rather than an entire exhaust system

3) There are inputs in for the dvd player, but no outputs, I am sure that you can take it apart and wire something up. Alternatively, you can buy a new rear console control panel for around $70

4) No idea. does it switch from an antenna input to a Ipod?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

^^^ Took the words right out of my mouth.
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Sr. Apprentice

No the switch just seems to make the treble a little louder for the radio. I'll find the heat shield and see if it's the problem. Thanks for the reply's, looks like 2wd for me

I wonder if they had an amp hooked up? Check out GMpartsclub.com for the rear audio control panel. They should have it at a decent price. You might want to get offroad occasionally and run it in 4 high for a few miles. (never run 4 wheel drive on dry pavement) I am a little excessive and do it once a week down a dirt road. This will make sure that you are keeping all the front differential components lubricated. It will also alert you to any issues with the 4x4 system so when you actually need it you do not find that it does not work.

Sr. Apprentice

I'll see what I can find locally here in Vegas. I do auto 4 sometimes when I'm on a dirt road, guess I should put it in 4wd high and enjoy.

Legend

I live in MN and have owned my Suburban for 8 years and have NEVER put mine in 4wd unless I have been wheeling or screwing around in deep snow. The weight of them is plenty in 2wd in slick conditions and as for auto4, I wouldn't have it on just cuz you are driving on dirt roads on NV, that is still a lot of weight and torque for the front end to handle if it activates itself on dry dirt roads, leave it in 2 or PUT it in 4wd HI,
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaT View Post
    1. Do you drive yours in Auto 4wd or 2wd? Which is better for the vehicle/tranny/transfer case and which is better on milage?
    Most people don't realize how the "Auto 4wd" works and how it differs from 4Hi and 2Hi.

The transfer case on your 'burb has a multi-plate wet clutch pack that connects the front axle to the driveline, and a shifting mechanism that can disengage it completey (2Hi), engage it completely (4Hi), or provide a variable amount of "slip" in between based on what the computer tells it (4wd Auto). Separate from this is the front axle disconnect, which splits the front axle in 2Hi so that the ring and pinion gears don't turn.

In general in 4wd Auto the computer will allow very little slip at highway speeds and a good deal of slip at low speeds to allow for cornering, unless the wheel speed sensors indicate that you're spinning a tire, in which case it moves towards full lock. In practice it's a good compromise for icy roads or variable conditions where you want the extra traction and stability but don't want to damage the driveline on dry sections of road.

So all that said you'll have much less wear and tear on the front axle and transfer case in 2wd, and will get somewhat better mileage since there is less friction.

2. Have you replaced your exhaust system? Mine is going out, you can hear the rattling of the cat somewhere.
    As others have pointed out usually this is just a loose heat shield and if you put a big ass hose clamp around the whole thing and tighten it down it will stop.

3. Can I bypass the stereo mid console and hook up headphones directly to the above dvd player? Previous owners killed all the switches.
    4. Someone installed a weird switch for the stereo. It's a toggle and it loud one way with ipod but loud other way with regular radio. What the heck?
    No idea how they might have carved it up. Mine has audio outs at the back of the floor-level center console.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Sr. Apprentice

Interesting, I'll go thru the rear and see if I can find the outlets if mine has them. Were they under the front seats?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by