GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: How Often do You Use 4Lo?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never. (Literally never/super rarely)

4 14.29%
  • Once in a while. (max once to twice a year)

11 39.29%
  • More often than most. (3+ times a year consistently)

8 28.57%
  • All the time. (once a month or multiple times a month)

4 14.29%
  • What's 4Lo? Or not a 4wd vehicle.

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

I use it once in a while when off-road and I need it...

Haven't had the need for it yet, and hopefully I don't seeing as I don't go muddin or climbing trees. We got some snow (6 inches maybe?) in Ohio so 4hi does the job more than good enough. I still tried it out, just to see that all is well.
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

I use it when I'm pulling logs and other crap which is quite often this time of year. Had to use it to crawl a very tight hill a few days ago
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

I've never had to use it in my Tahoe. When I had my Suburban, I used to park on all the snow mounds from the plows so other people on my street could park where it was cleared. Sometimes, I would have to use 4Lo to get in or out of the mound, but that's just because I wanted to. I have 4wd so I might as well use it.
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

I find I use 4L more often than most. Must be the type of 4 wheeling I do. Most of those who have commented have talked about "sand" and "dunes" and "snow" where speed and torque are usually less important (if anything you want less torque in many of those situations to minimize wheel slip). Most of my 4L use is in more rutted, "rock-crawling" type situations where I want to be able to go slow without constantly riding the brakes and to allow the engine/transmission to work together. In many of these situations in H, the engine runs at low rpm and the transmission never gets out of 1st gear.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

When I went home for leave, I climbed the levee (Mississippi River) with it to get over in the grass. Handled it like a champ in 4Lo and 1st gear. Other than that about the only time I use it is to pull stupid people out or pull trees out of the way. So maybe 10-15 times, PER YEAR. Have a feeling I might need it this year if it comes up this week.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Great gear on the farm when negotiating rougher terrain and need to go slow with control but have enough torque you don't have to juice the pedal. Especially nice when doing this with a load or when towing a wagon etc.
    Buy Made in USA, The job you save just might be your own.

Haven't had the need for it yet on my 2011 LTZ. This is the first one I've had with the "auto" setting and use that a lot. These V8s are so torquey now, I haven't needed it. Used low a few times on an older Suburban pulling horse trailers out of the mud, but that's all. That Suburban didn't have much over 1/2 the torque of my 2011.

I never use 4W low, just haven't found the need for it yet.