GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Lack of maintenance! What is wrong with people?

I have a few family members and friends that do absolutely no maintenance on their vehicles. (other than occasional oil changes). They always complain when a brake job cost them $400-$500 because they need rotors, calipers, and pads. I have a friend that bought a car new and never did anything other than oil changes. After 2 years she had to put front tires on it. The next year she put rears on it. She never rotated them so now she needs fronts again. Another friend had new tires put on his car a year ago. He kept having rim leak issues, so the tire shop convinced him that he needed new rims because the rust was causing "micro perforations", so he bought factory rims and new tires for the car. Then complained that he spent over $1000 in a year and wants to trade it in because it has 90,000 miles on it. (Oh No!) I do not understand how people think that they can just drive and never do anything to maintain their vehicle. It drives me nuts. Don't change spark plugs, buy a new car! My brakes squeak, oh well, It still stops. I just changed plugs out on a 08 explorer with 180,000 miles. The plugs were never changed before. (I was worried about pulling a @Conlan Rose ,broken plug!lol) The specified gap was .050-.052, My gap gauge goes to .095 and the gap on the removed plugs was larger than that. The electrodes were eroded to sharp pointy knife edges. The owner asked me to do a trans service. I told him no way. It was never done before I am not touching it now. I just don't get how people think that cars are like razors, disposable. Either they have the money to waste on a new car every few years or they just don't care. I had a another friend who sold his car that was 6 years old with 80,000 miles because the fuel pump went out. (the theory was, when one thing goes everything starts going) He practically paid the shop to take the car off his hands. The shop still uses it as a loaner car 5 years later! Sorry about the rant, I have just seen so much of this in the last 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Pikey; 12-31-2012 at 02:04 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Pikey's getting rid of all his 2012 frustrations

Happy New Year, my friend.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Those, of course, are the people who always pity themselves and say they have "Bad Luck." My sister does the same thing, I gave her one of my cars in the past that I maintained meticulously. I told her when I handed over the keys to just go get the brake pads done... 1 year later, she complained to me that I gave her a junk car, etc, because now she needed rotors too... After neglecting that car for long another, she bought a new trailblazer. I don't even think she got the oil changed in it for the first year. it makes me sick when she complains that she has such bad luck with cars, because it her fault that she does... /rant...
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

@Kady, I have seen that many times also. My father has given very well maintained, well running cars to people and they last a year or maybe 2 because they don't do anything to them.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    Those, of course, are the people who always pity themselves and say they have "Bad Luck."
    This is so true. I need to meet a woman like Kady or Amac or GMCErica -- i.e. one who understands maintenance, is ok with a boy spending time in the garage doing boy things (at least she'd know where I am, right?!), and most of all, doesn't make her own 'bad luck'.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    This is so true. I need to meet a woman like Kady or Amac or GMCErica -- i.e. one who understands maintenance, is ok with a boy spending time in the garage doing boy things (at least she'd know where I am, right?!), and most of all, doesn't make her own 'bad luck'.
    I guess that I got lucky in that department. Before the kids came my wife and I would do brake jobs together, She did one side and I did the other. Same with oil changes, she would drop the oil and filter while I greased. It is nice that when I say something needs done to one of our vehicles she has no problem with it. She might question why I am doing something, usually to educate herself. She knows that a job always takes longer then planned. Especially on the last two used trucks that I purchased. Of course doing a brake job on a newly acquired truck I will find something that I do not like. She knows that I am not going to just slap new pads in and be done, I am going to make another trip to the parts store and fix it right. Sometimes she makes the part store run or brings me beer while i am working.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yesterday, I was on my out to buy some building materials to assemble my kids' play house. On my way out, my wife said "Isn't your truck due for an oil change? Stop at the parts store and get what you need while you are out. Is there anything else you need for your truck?"

I told her that I needed a blower motor. She said "Then get that while you are there."

My wife NEVER gives me any crap about vehicle maintenance... Mine or hers. Shoot... I can't tell you how many times she came to me on a Friday night and told me that I had to have her Prius at the Toyota dealer the next morning at 7. She makes the appointments and reminds me to maintain the vehicles on her own.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Best wishes for the new year!

Well, here in France we take care of American cars!
    As the configuration of roads is different from those of the USA, we must take care of automatic gearboxes.

With TB 02, the gearbox is drained every 70,000 Km, the filter is also changed. For engine oil (5W30), same thing every 10000 km. The fact that this vehicle is equipped with LPG must also maintain this part (Spark and vaporiser). Brake pads and tires are replaced every 95,000 km

This vehicle, manufactured in Moraine (Ohio), eleven years old and 235,000 km and only the front drive shafts were replaced, the rest is completely original. His conduct in France is not a problem of maintenance.

Simply follow the maintenance log.

Best regards.

mine......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	47605

But, I like it too!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trailblazer'03-259087-1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	47606

1534 - April 1803 Louisiana at first! From Canada to New-Orleans.
    La louisiane d'abord! Du Canada à la Nouvelle Orléans.
    Sold by the Corsican traitor Napoleon 1st.
    Vendue par le félon corse Napoléon 1er

To allot of people a vehicle is just transportation... Nothing more they only want to spend the minimum to maintain it. They don't care about their vehicles as we fanatics do... Who view their vehicles as an extension of themselves. And do not realize a little oil and grease here and there would save them more in the long run.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    We are a rare bread my friend! And most guys that meet girls like us, they don't know what to do with or how to handle us... haha.
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast