GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Steering Pop

Hybrid View

Default Steering Pop

Ok, so when I went home on leave and finally got to drive my truck, I would notice a little pop in my steering. It happens at very low speeds like 0-10MPH. It does it in forward and reverse and happens when I'm like backing out of a space or turning into the driveway. I feel it a little bit in the steering wheel and some in the gas pedal.

My dad and brother (both very competent mechanics) changed the inner tie rods, upper ball joints and a few other things but I'm not sure.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Sr. Engineer

Is this the steering column knock you are feeling or more in the suspension?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Feels like its in the suspension. Mostly sounds like it comes from the front left tire when I have the window down. I can replicate it if I really tried to.

Sr. Engineer

Might be the wheel bearing. Is it four wheel drive? Maybe a CV joint?

Im thinking cv joint too. Wheel bearings aare brand but you know how that can go