GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Trans fluid cooler

Looking into doing a transmission fluid cooler mod here soon like maybe late September early October.

Definitely going to put in an oversized cooler probably an electric fan to help cool it off when it's really hot outside. Finding kits on eBay for 30$-40$ for just the unit with no fan. Just no clue as to what size or brand I should go with. Also looking into doing an electric fan mod on the radiator too later on.

Just looking for input on the size and brand of the cooler I should use
    or be comfortable spending money on.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Legend

I cant imagine there is room for a fan that is solely for the tranny cooler, never even heard of that, they just get mounted to the front side of the radiator. Unless your towing something ungodly big for your truck and driving like a maniac a factory tranny cooler is just fine. You could probably pick up all the parts needed to add IF you don't already have a factory cooler, pretty cheap at a good salvage yard. they are only about 12" x 12" and are easy to spot. As far as adding an electric fan in place of the engine driven fan, you have lots of options. You can buy a prefab kit or look in the write up section and see how to wire it yourself using a Ford Taures 3.8 radiator dual fan.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Mechanic

Unless your towing 10,000 pounds on a regular basis-this is what was installed in place of the tiny ones that come on the truck in another forum-
    http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=un...ated-11x8x1-12 If you do some more research on fans they do very little in regards to dropping temperature in a tranny cooler. They are not needed IMHO.

Legend

Blog Entries

I agree about the fan...and in fact, my factory cooler was sufficient for normal driving, like vncj96 and CKNLS mention, but I will also add that if/when after you install your lift and you get substantially taller tires and not re-gear, it will also drive up tranny temp.

When I needed to go to an after-market tranny cooler is when I put on the ~35" tires and going off-road or up paved hills in the mountains and my tranny temp sky-rocketed (and this was after I re-geared). After I swapped my factory cooler to the Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, I'm back to running great tranny temps and still no fan needed.

Here is a thread that details the Tru-Cool 40k cooler....check out what members have to say; it may be an option for you.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...highlight=cool
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 08-28-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added link

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I most likely won't be lifting it. But being in Virginia I run into a lot of stop and go traffic trying to get on base. The trans has 235,000 on it already. When Katelyn moves up, chances are ill be doing some mountain driving in western Virginia going camping. And if I have get orders to the west coast or somewhere else, I'll be towing a trailer loaded down with furniture and all. Electric fans are a for sure thing. Might look into the dual Taurus fans

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    I most likely won't be lifting it. But being in Virginia I run into a lot of stop and go traffic trying to get on base. The trans has 235,000 on it already. When Katelyn moves up, chances are ill be doing some mountain driving in western Virginia going camping. And if I have get orders to the west coast or somewhere else, I'll be towing a trailer loaded down with furniture and all. Electric fans are a for sure thing. Might look into the dual Taurus fans
    Oh,sorry. I was going by your list of future mods. Just of of curiosity, how hot is your tranny temp running now with your normal driving?

Don't know since I don't have a gauge for it. I'm taking another 2,200 round trip here in a few weeks to Mississippi and I've always just wanted a bigger one for potentially long trips or pullin the boat.

Legend

Blog Entries

Wow, long road trip! And with that type of use, you should be fine with just adding an OEM type of tranny cooler. It'll fit in there really nice. Also, you may want to check with some of other members here to see if anyone still has their stock cooler that may want to get rid of, as many of us here went to the Tru-Cool. If so, they may sell it to you cheap or give it to you. I ended up giving away my stock cooler to a member on this site after I changed mine out as I really didn't have a need for it any longer.

Sr. Mechanic

The OEM tranny cooler on my truck-2011 Silverado Crew Cab /5.3 is a joke. It's the size of a large paperback novel. It is barely adequate. He needs something a little better.

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CKNSLS View Post
    The OEM tranny cooler on my truck-2011 Silverado Crew Cab /5.3 is a joke. It's the size of a large paperback novel. It is barely adequate. He needs something a little better.
    I agree, they really are for lightweight towing (or other stressors) as that's why I changed mine out and initially recommended the tru cool to Riley to begin with. However, if it's relatively light towing at this time and he can pick one up for free and it will bolt right in, it might be another viable option for him or anyone else to consider. A tru cool and mounting kit will run about $200.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 08-28-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Type o

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by