GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Pappy

Default Pappy

Just pruchased an '06 Silverado LT extended cab with 79K miles and looks like I will be getting between 17 and 18 mpg normal driving. This will be my basic transportation unless it is a really nice day and I get the BMW 325Ci 5 speed out for a little fun on curvey country roads of north Alabama. I sold an '04 Dodge 2500 with Cummins turbo diesel to which I had added after-market intake and exahust and a Smarty Jr. tunner. I spent over $1,000 to gain maybe two miles per gallon and don't want to make the same mistake again. I am told by local autoparts store that I should pick up at least five mpg on the Silverado with 4.8L engine if I install similar equipment (K & N air filter, dual exhaust system and tunner). Sure would like to hear some personal experience testimonies about specific bolt-ons that work. Don't want to give up any hp but don't need more either. Primary interest is improving mpg.

Blog Entries

lightly loaded on the highway at speed limit in our 4.8 we can get 27 or 28 mpg.

In town is a different story....spec is 19, and I rarely get that
    Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well I can tell ya With a few improvements you can make the Truck out handle and perform the BMW...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you here.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Sr. Engineer

Welcome to The Club.

Welcome to GMTC, glad to have you here.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Welcome!

Default Pappy

Brian from Canada,
    Are you saying you are getting 19 city and 27-28 highway with a stock 4.8L or have you done some modifications? I'm getting 17-18 combination driving city and highway and would love to boost to 27-28 highway. Talked to local muffler shop owner yesterday and he was not at all encouraging about getting improvement with exhaust modification. I was a little surprised but not confident he knows what he's talking about. What are some good sorces for after market bolt on performance. I noted that one of the truck desciptions on the forum mentioned Van & Truck World. Where else should I look?
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Pappy

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized I can reply directly to you. Are you getting that kind of mpg with a stock 4.8L? Looks like your truck is later model than my '06, wonder if GM did anything different? I understand the 5.3L has a feature that shuts down 2 cylinders when they are not needed and boosts mpg but understood it was not available on the 4.8L.
    Have a great day,
    Pappy

Welcome to the Club! You will find all the information you need here...enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Pappy!
    Check your pm's.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by