GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99 Suburban programmer?

I threw this question out in the general tech section during a rant, but would like some more guidance.

I'm looking for a tuner, programmer, prom pak, chip - whatever they're called now. I put a Hypertech 'chip' in my '89 Sierra years ago, and always liked it. Now I'm looking to upgrade my '99 Suburban, specifically for towing power/torque. I'll get the Mustang out if I'm feeling frisky...

I looked at Hypertech Max Energy (32500), Superchips Flashpaq/Cortex (2865/2950), and the Edge EvoHT (26050). I'm not well versed in this stuff, and the truck is right at the cusp of the body/drivetrain changes, so the results I've found are a little confusing. What are your suggestions?

I don't have a smartphone, or a need for ipod hookups, or a movie player. Something simple that I can plug in and select a tune. That said, I do like the idea of seeing tranny temp or calibrating for larger tires.

I see that Superchips is a vendor on GMTC, and I'm leaning towards the Flashpaq; so, ya know, a little input?

Thanks gang,

1999 K2500 Chevy Suburban base, 350 5.7 Vortec, 4L80E, 4:10 locker, K&N in 'stock' box, cat-back Thrush turbos.

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Legend

I have a hypertech III for my beast, it gave my about 1mpg gain, but the biggest gain was in the rpms, quicker to gain especially when needing to pass someone on the highway, and is useful as I used to run bigger tires on it
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Thanks, Jason. I'll check that one out, too. I sent an email to Blackbear tuning, but that might be too permanent for me.

the Diablosport inTune or Trinity programmers would work perfectly for you....

here are their user manuals so you can check 'em out:

Trinity user manual: http://diablosport.com/manualFiles/T...ser_Manual.pdf

inTune user manual: http://diablosport.com/manualFiles/i...ser_Manual.pdf

please feel free to hit me up with any questions if you have any... and I can certainly get you hooked up with one of them if you decide to get one, since I sell them both, and I also offer a package deal that includes my custom tuning if you want as well, at a reduced cost to save you $$.

the diablosport tools have the most functionality, end-user adjustability of any handheld programmers, more complete/full data logging capability, plus the ability to have custom tuning done for them specifically for your truck, which you can't do with those others - you're stuck with whatever tunes they give you on them... ;)
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Thanks for the info 06. When I looked at their site before, it didn't offer my year/engine in the drop downs, but I will chech further. Do you have a part number for the set-up I have?

Thanks,

Legend

Not that the others a re bad tuners but if you are on a budget a hypertech III can be picked up on craigslist for 100 or less and summit racing has these on sale all the time

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    Thanks for the info 06. When I looked at their site before, it didn't offer my year/engine in the drop downs, but I will chech further. Do you have a part number for the set-up I have?

Thanks,
    the intune (i-1000) and trinity (t-1000) support 1999-2013 Suburbans, with the 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, and 8.1 engines...

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    Not that the others a re bad tuners but if you are on a budget a hypertech III can be picked up on craigslist for 100 or less and summit racing has these on sale all the time
    I was on CL yesterday and found one for $125. Hypertech says their newest Max Energy is 91+ only, doesn't offer different settings for towing, but an all in all power increase. The research continues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    the intune (i-1000) and trinity (t-1000) support 1999-2013 Suburbans, with the 5.3, 6.0, 6.2, and 8.1 engines...
    Mine is 5.7, 350. Too old...
    Thanks, again.

I'm looking for the same here but my 1999 K2500 Burb has the 7.4L and I can find no one who carries an onboard tuner at least I can't find one.

My bottom line is simple, I have Hank the Tank as my girls call her and I want to wake the beast up and be able to change "tune" setpoints quickly and easy.

Again it's a 8600gvw 1999 Chevy Suburban 4x4 with the 7.4L 454 running 4:10's in the front and 456's in the rear from the factory. I am looking to add the following:

Cold Air Intake, new MAS
    Headers with no cat's and good quite mufflers
    Some sort of tuner so I can play with it as I drive...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
    Wags
    Bartlett, Illinois