GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How do I turn shaft on transfer case? Need help please!

I got the Service 4WD light on my '05 Tahoe Z71. No lights on the selector, couldn't change modes. Truck was driveable, so I believe it was in 2HI. Had the code read, C0327 which indicates the encoder sensor. I found instructions on this site for how to replace it. Everything came apart real easy, got the new sensor installed in the motor. Went to put the motor back on and the shaft had turned, the notch on the shaft no longer matches up with the gear on the motor. The notch on the gear is at around 11 o'clock position, the notch on the shaft is at 6'oclock. I read multiple comments (all apparently quoting the same bulletin) which says to use a crescent wrench to turn the shaft to the necessary position. How? I can turn it to about 9 o'clock, but no further. Plus, it immediately springs back to 6 o'clock. Someone suggested putting the truck in neutral (trans), jacking the rear tires off the ground, and turning the rear driveshaft while I try to turn the shaft. Did that, same results. Right now the truck is in the middle of my driveway, with the front end up on ramps and the rear on jack stands, with no front driveshaft. This is my daily driver, and I'm stranded without it. Does someone have any other suggestions?

not sure, but i beleive you have to get the transfer case into neutral in order to get the shaft to turn. its something with the 2HI and 4LO buttons, if you look at the selector, there is a N with a light next to it. owners manual should have more, or look on youtube for some how to videos for GM trucks.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    not sure, but i beleive you have to get the transfer case into neutral in order to get the shaft to turn. its something with the 2HI and 4LO buttons, if you look at the selector, there is a N with a light next to it. owners manual should have more, or look on youtube for some how to videos for GM trucks.

Alex
    Thanks, but 2 problems with that. 1. One of the symptoms of the problem I had is that the selector lights go out and are not functional, so I couldn't put it into N before starting, and 2. The motor is out of the truck now, so there's no way to put it in N.

sorry about that, dont know what else to tell ya.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Hello, I had to have my 4 wheel drive controller replaced when I bought my 2003 suburban.
    after that, I had issues with the controller picking a different mode (auto 4 wheel, 2 wheel, 4 hi, 4 low) each time I turned on the engine!
    Turns out that the ground wire point was bad. After my mechanic cleaned the ground point, the controller is working great!

I have seen yahoo movies on replacing parts (motor and encoder sensor) in the transfer case.
    All parts must line up.
    You may have to take the ujoints apart on the front and rear axle shafts going to the transfer case to realign the gears.

I have had to replace the motor and encoder sensor assy in the tranfer case as well.

stprovost

I am having the EXACT same problem as described by muskie. My t-case was in the AWD setting when the t-case motor stopped working. I removed the t-case motor, and now I can't get the shaft to move into the position I need it. I'm also experiencing the issue of moving it and it returning to the other position. I'm able to get it into 2wd, but can't turn it further clockwise to the position I need it to realign with.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z71

Quote Originally Posted by GoshenBurb View Post
    I am having the EXACT same problem as described by muskie. My t-case was in the AWD setting when the t-case motor stopped working. I removed the t-case motor, and now I can't get the shaft to move into the position I need it. I'm also experiencing the issue of moving it and it returning to the other position. I'm able to get it into 2wd, but can't turn it further clockwise to the position I need it to realign with.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    The selector shaft actuates both the front axle clutches and the hi-N-lo shift fork. If you can't get it to shift into the position that matches the new motor, chances are that it's sticking in the hi-N-lo shift because the gears aren't lined up. The fix is to get at least one front and one rear wheel in the air so you can turn the driveshaft a little while keeping pressure on the wrench on the selector shaft until the gears shift.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Thanks Jamm3r!

It would either require a move of the front or rear (or both)..correct?

Do I need the engine running and be in neutral to make the move?

Thanks
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z71

You will already be in 4wd when you do this so they will move together. Have the engine stopped. I would have it in park so that I could be sure the input shaft isn't turning. Be sure the 'burb is safely supported on jack stands or blocking so you don't get squished.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Thanks for the follow-up. After further review and following your advice, I think I was able to get the t-case into Auto-4WD, but the problem was that the shaft would return just a bit to not enable the shaft and the t-case motor to line up.

After attempting this repair, I think the key is to get the tcase into 2wd or neutral before removing the t-case motor.

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up taking it to my local dealer (as painful as it was). I had to use a vice-grips to hold the t-case shaft in place to stop it from moving to neutral. (it did it twice on my before I left my neighborhood).

It was indeed the t-case motor. They replaced it and all is well again. I can't explain why the one I purchased from my local parts store didn't work, but it didn't.
    2003 Chevy Suburban Z71