GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tires - Michelin LTX Winter

Before Christmas I got a set of Michelin LTX Winter tires for da 'burb in 245/75-16 E.

There isn't much selection in load range E winter tires. I suppose the Blizzaks are probably just as good.

It's too early to tell for sure but so far these seem to have better ice and snow traction than the all-season tires I ran last year. I have become a believer in winter tires and have extra rims for them. I have Michelin x-ice3s on my daily driver and it has made a substantial difference, which is to say you get very little traction on bad icy roads rather than no traction at all. One bad crash pays for a lifetime of winter tires.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

I did not know that Michelin made a LTX winter. I have always run the LTX MS with no issues. I searched the LTX winter and the tread pattern looks the same as the M/S. Are they just a softer rubber?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I did not know that Michelin made a LTX winter. I have always run the LTX MS with no issues. I searched the LTX winter and the tread pattern looks the same as the M/S. Are they just a softer rubber?
    It's supposed to be a softer rubber, yes. Also, they are a little more heavily siped.

I'm running LTX AT2s in the summer, which have very little siping, and a more open tread suitable for playing in the mud.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer