GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm going to have to double check but I could swear my 2012 Silverado has a light. ...it also has a censor that knows when the hood is open and will shut the truck off if you open it while running on remote start. (found that out. lol)
    Buy Made in USA, The job you save just might be your own.

Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    After writing a report for gm he got a phone call from gm's diagnostic center. They asked him if there were high tension power lines that crossed the highway where it died, and there was. The interference from the powerwires were amplified by the ungrounded hood and affected the crank position signal in the coil module.
    Haha, now I know why we no longer hear of engines dying when UFOs are around.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    There was a lady who bought a buick lesabre brand new and her first drive to work the car died on the highway. The dealer towed it back and after inspecting found nothing wrong, the car started right up no problems to be found and gave it back. The next day same thing, died in the same spot. After a few more tows back to the dealer and always dieing in the same spot one of the techs rode with her to see if she was doing something wrong. Sure enough the engine stalled in the same spot. The tech looked around and found nothing wrong under the hood but then noticed the hood ground strap was not connected from the factory so while waiting for the tow he took care of it. The truck arrives and they go to load it on the rollback but it starts up. Baffled they do more test drives with no more problems. After writing a report for gm he got a phone call from gm's diagnostic center. They asked him if there were high tension power lines that crossed the highway where it died, and there was. The interference from the powerwires were amplified by the ungrounded hood and affected the crank position signal in the coil module.

Random things like ground straps and weights bolted to exhausts are there for a reason, be it obvious or not

A friend a long time ago had a VW that did the same thing...they finally figured out it was interference from the local Doplar Radar deal...he would pass it and the car would die in the same spot every day.

Quote Originally Posted by E_HILLMAN View Post
    I'm going to have to double check but I could swear my 2012 Silverado has a light. ...it also has a censor that knows when the hood is open and will shut the truck off if you open it while running on remote start. (found that out. lol)

The switch for the hood to detect the latch position is in the locking mechanism. It prevents the remote start from working should the hood be open. My 2012 (LT) has no light.

So as noted upthread the bonding strap is there mainly to provide better RF shielding.

It works both ways. It reduces the amount of AM radio interference from the ignition, fuel injection, and ABS system, and it reduces the effect of strong RF fields on the engine controls.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by WorthFlorida View Post
    The switch for the hood to detect the latch position is in the locking mechanism. It prevents the remote start from working should the hood be open. My 2012 (LT) has no light.
    Yep just looked at mine last night, no light. Must just be having flash backs from my last trucks as all had them and I've only had this one a month today
    Buy Made in USA, The job you save just might be your own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12