GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Unhappy Window Washer Reservoir?

I have a 2009 Express 2500 van that has a leaking washer fluid reservoir tank. I am trying to remove it to patch the leak on the bottom but cannot figure out how to remove the tank. I removed the bolt holding the tank to the flange and also removed the small strut from the front to the top side of the fender but there still is no room to wiggle it out. The horn on the bottom was also removed to gain more room but I cannot get it out.
    It seems to me like the brake lines to the master cylinder has to be removed so the tank can pulled up and out.
    Is this correct? Is there any other way?

Legend

Blog Entries

The picture below may help you as there are a couple of flanges as well as a hose that may be hidden from your view. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with your van so if this pic doesn't help, I hope someone will come along soon who knows how to remove.

On a side note, I just replaced the tank in my wife's car as it was cracked at the bottom and leaking. These tanks seem to get more brittle with age and once you get it out, it may be better to just replace it with a new one. It cost about $30, so it was worth the extra peace of mind for me.

Last edited by mfleetwood; 01-03-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks for the quick reply Mfleetwood but my washer reservoir is located on the drivers side and is about 1 1/2 ft. long and about 4" at the widest point.
    It is completely free but the restriction on the top and sides makes it hard to pull out.

Legend

Blog Entries

Sorry, your vehicle has many engine options to choose from, so I picked one of the more common ones. But since you basically have it out, it really wouldn't be helpful at this point. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon who knows.

I was just thinking that I can perhaps remove the master cylinder from the booster to see if I can get the washer bottle out? Is this ok as long as I don't disconnect the brake lines?

Quote Originally Posted by 91boz View Post
    I was just thinking that I can perhaps remove the master cylinder from the booster to see if I can get the washer bottle out? Is this ok as long as I don't disconnect the brake lines?

Not being familiar with the vans, the only thing I can add is that you do not want to get any air or air bubbles in the brake lines, that will be a bigger problem because you won't be able to stop until the air is flushed out.

I don't know if you got it out yet, but was thinking that by the shape you described it may be easier to pull the inner wheel well plastic and get it out through the bottom.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)