GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Anyone used a roll on bedliner on inside of toolbox?

I've been wanting to do something to the inside of my toolbox to keep stuff from sliding around as well to keep down the noise from things moving around in there. First I threw in some dealership car mats that came with my wifes's car as a temporary fix but that was basically useless. Then I found some rubber matting that is used for flooring on boats and that has done a good job. I still would like to apply a roll on bedliner though to the bottom and sides of the toolbox to try to muffle noises and to keep things in there from banging on the aluminum walls.

Anyone ever done this? Any special prep work to the smooth aluminum? How did you like it? Also, any other alternatives or suggestions?

TIA
    WAR EAGLE!!!

Legend

Everything that I have read is that ANY kind of metal toolbox has to be sandblasted to completely get the coatings off, I wanted to paint mine black and was told numerous times it would just be easier to buy one that is painted black from the factory. Also have been told the chemical strippers may not work the best as they are not suited for aluminum or stainless steel as that is what most boxes are made of
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

you could always contact a lineX or rhino lining rep. You could pick their brain and find out what might need to be done to get something to bond to the inside.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I know a guy that did roll on bedliner on his 95 Toyota. When he showed me it it actually looked good. Also he told me that he really didnt do anything exept for clean it, but im not sure if thats all he did because he tends to bend the truth a lot. But thats all i think you would need to do for a bedliner, or maybe just scuff it a little bit, but im not sure.
    1994 GMC Yukon, 2 door, Victory Red
    Garage Link: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...1994-GMC-Yukon

Have you thought of a rubber coating spray? I don’t see why it won’t work. I don’t know how long it would last but I found it at a local Home depot here. $6 for a 11oz can says it does 5sq feet.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Spray...1#.UOcseW_Ad8E
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    Have you thought of a rubber coating spray? I don’t see why it won’t work. I don’t know how long it would last but I found it at a local Home depot here. $6 for a 11oz can says it does 5sq feet.
    I've heard of people putting plasti-dip on their wheels (except I think it was the type that you use a paintbrush to apply) and it staying on there pretty good. Could be a winner Curky.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    I actually have considered that but haven't researched it at all. If it is commonly used on rims surely it could handle the inside of a toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by wmkess View Post
    I actually have considered that but haven't researched it at all. If it is commonly used on rims surely it could handle the inside of a toolbox.
    They also have a rubber dip that can be rolled on. It is the same kind of rubber that would be on a wrench handle. It is close but don’t get it confused with plastic dip that they use for rims and so on.

make sure what ever you get has instructions for aluminum application as aluminum is not easily painted and i dont know what other coatings will have trouble sticking to aluminum

Stop by you neighborhood UPS or Roadway warehouse and ask for a length of conveyor belt. They will have scraps, it makes a great box liner, made so stuff doesn't slide around and wears like iron.