GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default On Board Compressor

So for Christmas my wife bought me the Firestone Industrial on board air compressor (part #2158 its the standard duty compressor) to go along with the Firestone Industrial Airbags that I have on the truck.

Install was fairly easy and straight forward. I have had the bags for a couple years so it was just a matter of rerouting the lines (used to exit out of the rear license plate bolt holes), and installing compressor and switch/guage.

The contents of the package
    Attachment 47763

Next came figuring out where to bring the airline inside the cab without making any new holes. There was a grommet under the front driver side floorboard that seemed to be the best place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-25_14-03-29_127.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	47764

Name:	2012-12-25_14-06-41_456.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	47765

After that I had to route the line back to the bags and to the supplied T connector as I got the single switch/guage so the bags would be evenly inflated (no side to side control just front/rear for leveling with a load. The T-connector was placed just to the rear of the fuel tank and centered.

Name:	2012-12-25_14-44-57_560.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	47766

Name:	2012-12-25_14-45-40_123.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	47767

The airline from the compressor to the switch was run in the door channel on the drivers side and then run next to the line from the bags to the switch. I just kept them in the same channel that the other cable was already run in.

Name:	2012-12-25_15-01-20_626.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	47768

Name:	2012-12-25_15-11-06_754.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	47769

The lines are connected to theback of the switch and prssure gauge.

Name:	2012-12-25_15-19-27_46.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	47770

The compressor was installed under the rear seat on the drivers side. In my truck the bottom of the seat goes up towards the front seat and then the seat back lays down. Then there is a spring loaded cover that opens and is where I installed the compressor and relay. I placed it here to keep the compressor clean and dry (not necessary but how I wanted it)

Name:	2012-12-25_17-05-54_814.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	47771

The power line was too short to even make it up under the dash (it was close but the crew cab was longer and I went a little round about ways) so I ended up tying into the always hot power line of the power seat switch (which was real close to where the wire ended anyway.

Name:	2012-12-30_11-42-10_257.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	47772

Final step was to wire in the switch. The wire from the relay to the switch was long enough to make it so that was a simple plug in (white wire). The other white wire just needed to be grounded. This left the light in the gauge. I ran one of the black wires to a wire behind the climate controls (the one connected to the lights). This was done by turning the lights on and then with a light probe finding which one dimmed with the dimmer switch. Not too hard to find just had to poke a few wires.The other black wire was then grounded.

Name:	2012-12-30_12-04-55_828.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	47773

Fired it up and works like a champ. Now I can level the truck back out when loaded anywhere instead of having to be at home with my garage compressor.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Nice! How loud is it in the cab when the electric compressor is running?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    That was my question. I thought mine would be (and it is) to loud in the cab. That is why I mounted mine under the hood.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Legend
    Blog Entries

Looking good!!! I was going to do air bags, but I didn't like all the chances for problems down the road. (seals, fittings, air lines etc.) You did a very nice job on the install though, nice and clean!

very nice, clean install and very informative for others who would be interested in doing the same

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I dont find it to be very loud at all (maybe I'm going deaf). Its not automatic so its only going to run for the short time I hit the switch to level a load. I have to chase down a very slow leak somewhere along the way. I dont think I had enough soap in the spray bottle when I hit all the connections after install. loses about 1 psi a day, so right now I just give the gauge a quick glance when I jump in. My normal running pressure is 10 psi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Looking good!!! I was going to do air bags, but I didn't like all the chances for problems down the road. (seals, fittings, air lines etc.) You did a very nice job on the install though, nice and clean!

I have had the airbags with no compressor for roughly 2 years and never had a leak. would check every few months and bags were always good. small leak now but overall so far maintenance has been zero.