GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Are you kidding? What is goin on?

Alright...few problems have surfaced in the past few days....

4 days ago...the speedometer became completely inaccurate to the level of insanity. As many of us know....this is a special extended warranty issue, so the cluster will be replaced for free. Already got the appointment to have the tests done and information gathered to have the cluster ordered and hopefully will have it all said and done by the end of the week....joy.

Now...starting TWO days ago....I started the truck at 7 am...and saw that the check engine light was on. Oh. Joy. So I had to do ALOT of stuff and had to ignore it for a while. I, after about 500 miles, checked all the things that COULD make it go on, but not alert me on the DIC....gas cap, etc...to no avail.

Went to advance and had them pull the codes... He told me, and as I saw on the scanner....all 4 oxygen sensors...are throwing codes. What the HELL? I have a solid understanding of these type of things and know that the front two only need replacing every 100k for a heated and about 30k for a non heated...the rears only throw codes to tell you when the cat(s) are clogged.

I've called 5 different dealership service departments to pick some brains and got nothing from it....all gave me the answer of "bring it on in and we'll check it out", yeah, for what, a $500 diagnosis?

I'm going out right now to unhook the battery to see if resetting it does ANYTHING....we'll see.

Thanks for any information.

'93 Pontiac Bonneville SE | Series I Buick 3800 L27 | Dark Yellow Green | 3.06:1 | | 225/60 TripleTreds 2/9/08 | 106k | The Mean Green Machine
    '04 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71 4x4 | Gen III Vortec 5300 LM7 | Summit White | 3.73:1 | XM, Bose 6 Disc Changer | 12-way Heated Leather | 58k

I would be a little surprised to see all four o2 sensors go bad at the same time. Do you remember code numbers? O2 sensors indicating rich or lean? Is the engine running rich or lean? Fuel pressure correct?
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

No, I don't remember the code numbers...I can go back though and get them to hook it up again.

I have no idea about the FP, I don't have a pressure gauge, but wouldn't expect fuel pressure to be anything but normal at 34k. I don't think this year has any fueling issues does it? Fuel pumps, etc? Actually this could be leaning on something...one guy at one of the dealerships I talked to mentioned something about these codes showing signs of "over compensation of another issue" basically that they're going out of the spectrum on one side or the other. Fuel mileage is actually BETTER than it has been by about 1 mpg on average. Drivability is excellent, same as always.

But regardless, this was an instant on/off thing. The problem wasn't there when I parked it the night before, and then after starting it (with remote start) and then getting in it 5 minutes later...it was there.

I've got it disconnected right now, I'll reconnect it in the morning and report the results tomorrow after the trip to work and other crap.

'93 Pontiac Bonneville SE | Series I Buick 3800 L27 | Dark Yellow Green | 3.06:1 | | 225/60 TripleTreds 2/9/08 | 106k | The Mean Green Machine
    '04 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71 4x4 | Gen III Vortec 5300 LM7 | Summit White | 3.73:1 | XM, Bose 6 Disc Changer | 12-way Heated Leather | 58k

Blog Entries

It could just be a glitch that can be straightened out by taking it to the dealer and having them re-flash your computer and updating the software. My check engine light came on out of nowhere a couple of months ago and it started shifting funny like it was in tow-mode (high RPM's beween shifts) so I promptly took it in and that is all it took to fix it. I'm puzzled by the o2 codes but I think a dealer reflash would be your best bet. JMHO
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I wonder how much they'll charge for that. It is out of warranty as of about Oct.

I will consult them on their opinion when I take it in for them to get the cluster info on monday.

Blog Entries

Yeah that's the thing, my 06 has a little over 17K on it and I bought it new a year ago so it's still covered under the 3-year/36K bumper to bumper warranty so I would be interested to know what it costs for a diagnosis and re-flash (if needed) so keep us posted.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Huh, well, good news on the truck.... I pulled the negative last night and let it sit about 16 hours unhooked. Tossed it on this morning and started it up...

NO check engine light

AND the speedometer works again (for now)

w00t!

ALSO, decided to be a little lighter on the pedal for all the driving I had to do today...Just to see what kinda mileage I could pull off. Well according to the DIC, I got an average, over 75 miles of stop and go AND highway driving, 21.2 mpg! And what is excellent about that...is that I normally average 21-24 combined with any of my bonnevilles, so hey, I'm down with that.

it also is running a bit better, even the passengers noticed haha

Moral of this story: If your GM car/truck is getting quirky...unplug it for a night, its alllllll better in the morning. Oh yah, and drive gently.