GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fog lamps

The thing to watch for is DOT approved, alot of the china crap is the wrong material that melts around to bulb, discolors etc. They were like $35 a piece for the cheapest certified housings.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    The thing to watch for is DOT approved, alot of the china crap is the wrong material that melts around to bulb, discolors etc. They were like $35 a piece for the cheapest certified housings.
    That is what I paid

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

I had to modify the fog lamp beam adjusting so that the beam would go further out than 6 ft. they do work better now that the beam goes out about 30 ft . the pattern is good a horizontal beam. with this the snow does not reflect back when driving in a bad snow storm.

problem is these lenses are cheap soft plastic and road elements destroy these lenses to reduce the light output.

with your vehicle not having them installed to do this ,would require a dealership involvement. no worth the cost. I would get an aftermarket setup and power up by using a relay controled by the ignition on feed, with a manual on/off switch. install a fuse to the fuse box ignition circuit to supply power to the relay switch contact for the fog lamps using number 12 GA wire.

polishsilverado do you want the OEM look or just want some fog lights down there?

I want stock foglights cause I'm putting hids in them something bright blue and cool

I would just buy some oem style housings and wire up a relay and a switch.

Ok how do i hook them up to the ignition?

Legend

if you have the connectors down there check for power to these lamps.

- - - Updated - - -

go here http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm

this is what I was saying earlier. feed to the relay contacts should be not to battery but to the ignition feed at the underhood fuse box. this is so when key off fog lights off. the rest of these diagrams are good to guide you threw the install process. feed to relay coil would be to the head lamp or park lamps . I would use the park lamps.

always use a fuse at the source for any power taping. this will prevent fires.

You know, people coming the other way do not care if your high beams or fogs are on or not. What they care is that they are partially blinded by your headlights. What is really cool is that when they are having trouble seeing past your mega low beams, you complete the job by fully blinding them with your highs. It is especially fun to do that when the people you are blinding are coming in your direction...what a rush. Of course, this could all be taken care of if you would just lower the angle of your low beams, which takes maybe 30 seconds per side.

Don't blast me...I'm just sayin.....

Legend

the headlamp adjusting has to pass the safety inspect here. the lamps up too high are not good at all where it snows out or fog.

the fog lamp adjusting that I had to change was because the lamps beam was low to begin with about 18 inches off the ground. then the adjusting made this horizontal beam go out a very short distance. not worth much ...with this low beam going out 30 ft I can now see much better the road surface[people inthe road] at a distance I can react to . also because the oem beam is horizontal the beam does not hit on coming traffic at any time more than 2 ft off the ground unless you in a go cart.

If I did any off roading I would have installed separately some air craft landing lights.

these OEM headlamps over time lose light lumen power.

with non oem horizontal fog lamp patterns these would give poor snow/fog performance.. you do need the horiz pattern .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12