GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    They said that with some systems they could actually listen in on conversations in the vehicle with no one knowing. That was a few years ago.
    I worked for the local phone company; years ago, we could listen in on any conversation that we wanted, it was illegal, but that didn't stop people from doing it. They were land lines; then along came cell phones, anyone with a scanner could listen to conversations. Then we went digital (land and mobility) it made "ease-dropping" a little more difficult, if not impossible.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

These are all reasons that almost kept me from buying a GM product. The way they wired the newer GM vehicles Onstar is wired into everything. I would like to pull it out of my truck but 1. it is still under warranty 2. I am not sure I would be able to because of the way everything is wired through it.
    I leave my cell phone at the house more than I have it with me. And when it is with me I am at work. LOL

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

If you can't remove it, then block it. I would just assume that I am going to figure in the cost of my next truck an extra $2500 for a copper or lead cloth to interfere with the transmission of data to their data center.

I also wonder if someone with a Tech II or MDI could force On-Start to be turned off at the vehicle level where they cannot turn it on with out being connected directly to the vehicle through the OBD II port.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    If you can't remove it, then block it. I would just assume that I am going to figure in the cost of my next truck an extra $2500 for a copper or lead cloth to interfere with the transmission of data to their data center.

I also wonder if someone with a Tech II or MDI could force On-Start to be turned off at the vehicle level where they cannot turn it on with out being connected directly to the vehicle through the OBD II port.
    Disconnecting the gps and cellular antenna leads from the unit should be easy. I don't know if it would throw any codes, but I doubt it. It doesn't entirely resolve the issue but if you then wrap it in copper or lead its range is effectively nil.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Disconnecting the gps and cellular antenna leads from the unit should be easy. I don't know if it would throw any codes, but I doubt it. It doesn't entirely resolve the issue but if you then wrap it in copper or lead its range is effectively nil.

I think this stuff would work:

• 10 mil copper foil
    • 5Ft x 24 inches
    • $102 + shipping

http://www.nimrodhall.com/10mil.php

You know something, not to go overboard on it.... but while copper is expensive, at those prices, I would be temped to copper shield the engine compartment and the cab of the truck and then dyno mat over it to protect all the internal electronics....

(I am thinking along the lines of someone trying to use an EMP pulse to stall the vehicle......)

The foil would be fine but you wouldn't need nearly that much of it. a 2ft x 1ft sheet should be enough to just wrap the OnStar unit.

If you want to disable OnStar, just pull the power lead to the OnStar module. IIRC, it's under the radio in the dash on the NNBS Silverados.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Aluminum foil works fine and is much cheaper.

I'm not worried about law enforcement abuses of onstar nearly as much as I am worried about law enforcement abuses of license plate reader data.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

On my old Envoy, the OnStar box was a metal can (probably grounded). As long as the antennas is connected, no amount of foil will shield it.

Years ago, drivers worried about the paper ticket that was given on toll roads. Time stamped when passed to you, time stamped when you turned it. Easy to tell if you were speeding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12