GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On Star and Black Box - Tracking concerns

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    According to OnStar Privacy practices, they don't track your speed and location unless there is a request.

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/privacy
    1) OnStar changed its policy in 2011. (Article: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...le-some-users/). Media and congressional inquiry pressures eventually caused OnStar to reverse the change, but it's still a dangerously large (for the consumer) gray area.

2) How so? Well you read what they wanted you to read. I read the fine print in OnStar's privacy FAQ (located HERE: https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/privacy#Track)
    Does OnStar track the location or speed of my car? The simple answer is no. OnStar does not continuously track the location or speed of your car. OnStar only knows this information when:

• there is a request for service initiated from within the car (when you press an OnStar button to speak with an advisor);
    • there is a request for Stolen Vehicle Assistance or to locate a missing person;
    • there is an Air Bag Deployment;
    • there is an Automatic Crash Response;
    • required by law;
    • required to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others;
    • required by us for research or troubleshooting purposes; or
    • required for the delivery by OnStar of new or enhanced services that you have requested.

So even if I don't request OnStar to track my speed/location/other information, if the air bags deploy they are informed of it. Or, if Johnny Law asks them to track it -- they will. Or if they feel they must track my vehicle to protect THEIR (OnStar's) rights ... they will. Or if they feel they need to track me for 'research' purposes (or maybe I'm part of a random sample) -- they will. Or if they are troubleshooting they might track me (deliberately or, again, as part of a random sample).

There are WAY too many gray areas in that -- where information about me (location) or my vehicle can be tracked by that device/service without my express authorization. I'm a law abiding citizen and have nothing to hide ... but that doesn't mean I shouldn't protect my privacy. I happen to work in information/computer security, so I have a very good idea of what can be done with the information once obtained ... and also how it might be shared, dispersed, hacked, and/or used against me (even in seemingly unmalicious ways -- consider an insurance company that sees that I had an airbag deployment at 56mph and notes in the accident report it was a 55mph zone -- perhaps they might 'do their job' and try to deny the claim?).

Better safe than sorry. There is no black box in my truck, anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    1) OnStar changed its policy in 2011. (Article: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...le-some-users/). Media and congressional inquiry pressures eventually caused OnStar to reverse the change, but it's still a dangerously large (for the consumer) gray area.

2) How so? Well you read what they wanted you to read. I read the fine print in OnStar's privacy FAQ (located HERE: https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/privacy#Track)
    Does OnStar track the location or speed of my car? The simple answer is no. OnStar does not continuously track the location or speed of your car. OnStar only knows this information when:

• there is a request for service initiated from within the car (when you press an OnStar button to speak with an advisor);
    • there is a request for Stolen Vehicle Assistance or to locate a missing person;
    • there is an Air Bag Deployment;
    • there is an Automatic Crash Response;
    • required by law;
    • required to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others;
    • required by us for research or troubleshooting purposes; or
    • required for the delivery by OnStar of new or enhanced services that you have requested.

So even if I don't request OnStar to track my speed/location/other information, if the air bags deploy they are informed of it. Or, if Johnny Law asks them to track it -- they will. Or if they feel they must track my vehicle to protect THEIR (OnStar's) rights ... they will. Or if they feel they need to track me for 'research' purposes (or maybe I'm part of a random sample) -- they will. Or if they are troubleshooting they might track me (deliberately or, again, as part of a random sample).

There are WAY too many gray areas in that -- where information about me (location) or my vehicle can be tracked by that device/service without my express authorization. I'm a law abiding citizen and have nothing to hide ... but that doesn't mean I shouldn't protect my privacy. I happen to work in information/computer security, so I have a very good idea of what can be done with the information once obtained ... and also how it might be shared, dispersed, hacked, and/or used against me (even in seemingly unmalicious ways -- consider an insurance company that sees that I had an airbag deployment at 56mph and notes in the accident report it was a 55mph zone -- perhaps they might 'do their job' and try to deny the claim?).

Better safe than sorry. There is no black box in my truck, anymore...
    I'm not going to sit around and worry about big brother all the time. Like it or not they can gather information about you. By unplugging some box, you are not monitor proof.

Do you have a smart phone? If yes, pretty much all of them have GPS, or other ways to gather or monitor someone. Turning off the GPS is NOT a guarantee.

Do you have internet in your home? If yes, your ISP assigns you an IP address and that can be VERY easily monitored (what sites you go to, how often you visit them, etc.).

What of all the information people give out on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.)? Big brother doesn't have to do much except read someone's Facebook page.

In the end, does the government want to spend the time and money to monitor everyone's activities?

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    There is no black box in my truck, anymore...
    I don't think you removed the "black box" (if your truck has one, I don't know when the "black box" was introduced). You may have removed remote call-in access to the "black box", but I think the "black box" is part of the BCM.

To the best of my knowledge, the "black box" records a 30 sec continuously rolling segment of the vehicle data. So, your 56 mph, in a 55, could still be captured and used against you in a court of law.

In the end, does the government want to spend the time and money to monitor everyone's activities?
    Of course not.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I don't think you removed the "black box" (if your truck has one, I don't know when the "black box" was introduced). You may have removed remote call-in access to the "black box", but I think the "black box" is part of the BCM.

To the best of my knowledge, the "black box" records a 30 sec continuously rolling segment of the vehicle data. So, your 56 mph, in a 55, could still be captured and used against you in a court of law.
    In SurrealOne's defense, they would have to physically have the box rather than having a 3rd party gather the data and give it to someone.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

In SurrealOne's defense, they would have to physically have the box rather than having a 3rd party gather the data and give it to someone.
    Oh, I agree, I don't know the US laws, but in Canada the data can be "viewed" with a search warrant.

A warrant is not issued lightly, but if there was sufficient reason for a judge to issue the warrant, "big brother" can get it.

I guess the point is, if you are a "law-abiding" driver you should have nothing to worry about.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I apologize to the original poster that we're WAY off topic. I had no intention of spawning a left turn in this thread. Thus, this will be my final response...

I removed the OnStar unit that lives behind the passenger side air bag. That's the 'black box' to which I was referring. It's got the cellular modem, GPS receiver, and interface to the truck's computer.

They'd have to come face me (not OnStar to get remote data, but me, directly) with a warrant in hand for access to the truck beyond reasonable external observation. I am just fine with that, as that's how it should be. I trust myself to protect my privacy as I see fit -- and that's not true of corporations.

I guess the point is, if you are a "law-abiding" driver you should have nothing to worry about.
    I am a law-abiding citizen and I don't have anything to worry about. However, I am still vigilant about my privacy and my rights. All citizens should be, ESPECIALLY the law-abiding citizens, as it is their rights that tend to be trampled in the name of protecting them ... when they don't protect their rights. In this case my 4th amendment protection from illegal search/seizure is just too easily violated if I entrust a corporation to protect it. Thus, I choose to do it, myself.

I'm not going to sit around and worry about big brother all the time. Like it or not they can gather information about you. By unplugging some box, you are not monitor proof.
    No one suggested you should. As for me, I don't seek to be monitor-proof. I seek to avoid entrusting protection for my privacy to other entities wherever I reasonably can. Removal of the OnStar unit was one very easy change that allowed me to do just that.. As for your cell phone/internet inquiries, I'm well aware of those concerns, too ... and I take all reasonably appropriate precautions with such devices. As for social media, there's no personal identifiable information about me within it. I'm not most people.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 01-07-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvoy View Post
    in the end, does the government want to spend the time and money to monitor everyone's activities?
    of course not.
    fnord fnord fnord
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

The black box/SDM is only used in an accident. If the accident isnt a fatality or serious injury the data will never be down loaded.

Legend

Blog Entries

Due to the off-topic nature of this (when these posts were attached to a different thread/subject), I went ahead and split the thread and started a new one, as this topic is drawing interest and it appears that people would like to continue the discussion.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

required by us for research or troubleshooting purposes

So, is research to them whom there customers are? So, why not check on them? I have a few friends that worked for onstar here in Michigan. I few years back they would always laugh and tell us at parties how they access peoples info for "research" purposes. They said that with some systems they could actually listen in on conversations in the vehicle with no one knowing. That was a few years ago. Then last summer there was all over the news about onstar doing this. After that they "changed" their policy or actually reworded it so they could still do it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast