GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Cluster problem or speed sensor Avalanche 1500

Hello guys im new to this forum and I think is great I have a 2004 2wd avalanche 1500 daily driver and today I was in the expressway about 60 mph and all of a sudden speedometer went from 60 to 10 mph and I was hoping someone could point in the right direction from where to start checking

thanks in advance

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

First off welcome.... Is there anything else not working OR doing strange things?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Engineer

did it stay at 10 the whole time or when you went slower the needle dropped and raised as you sped up? if the needle still moves in corrispondince with your speed then its 99% sure its a cluster problem. very common with that year.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Enkeiavalanche cluster is not doing anything weird just the speedometer was acting up

a.graham52 the neddle moves all the way to 10 and stops there and when you slow down it goes down the neddle doens't move in correspondence with the speed because stays at 10 mph and could be going 40 but is stoped at 10

thank you for the welcome sorry i couldnt respond any sooner guys

If you have an android phone get Torque (android app) and the OBD-II bluetooth cable ($70 for the good one) and compare the speedometer on that to your dash. If Torque gets the speed wrong you have a sensor problem. If Torque gets the speed right you have a cluster problem.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Jamm3r I don't have an android phone I have blackberry but that's a very good way to determine I wonder if that also read codes and all that ???

It does, I am planing to buy one. There are cheaper Bluetooth adapters that work (Elm 327), but they have trouble pairing and sometimes don't work with the app. The app is 4.95 on the Google Play store. I does all kinds of things and the newer the vehicle the more functions.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

man that is awesome who needs auto scanners anymore with android phones lol

Not perfect but you can read and reset codes and access a good deal of real time data -- fuel trims, temperatures, throttle position. They've improved the freeze frame support which I haven't had to use yet but it looks like it would help chase those wonky engine control problems that show up and then disappear.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by