GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Silverado vs. F150 brake rotors.

Hello all.

I was reading that the F150 has MUCH larger brake rotors than a Silverado (at least that's what Ford tells the masses).

After doing a little reading I found the numbers (all numbers in inches).

2013 F150 front rotors - 13.78 x 0.55

2013 Silverado front rotors - 12.99 x 1.18

While the F150's rotors are 0.79" larger in diameter, they are 0.63" thinner. IMO, having rotors THAT much thinner would be more prone to warping.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

unfortunately, stchman, ford brakes are larger in all dimensions. the 2013 Raybestos replacement rotor has a discard thickness of 1.26", larger than Chevy. With the 6% larger diameter, if all other engineering is equal, there will be slightly better braking on the F150. Plus, the Chevy weighs 170 pounds more, so there will be slightly greater stopping distance on the shipping. If you do any brake upgrade on your Chevy, you will have equal or better brakes than a stock F150. No getting around the stock-to-stock comparo, though.

Also, in regards to rotor warpage...most of that is old mechanics tales. Rotors do not warp often, but more often will develop "hot" spots on the surface, which leads to that pulsing feeling, and which reduces pad life. It all causes us to think that our rotors are warped, when they really are not. Regardless, when the pulsing starts, you know it will only get worse, and the only way to fix it is to true up the rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    unfortunately, stchman, ford brakes are larger in all dimensions. the 2013 Raybestos replacement rotor has a discard thickness of 1.26", larger than Chevy. With the 6% larger diameter, if all other engineering is equal, there will be slightly better braking on the F150. Plus, the Chevy weighs 170 pounds more, so there will be slightly greater stopping distance on the shipping. If you do any brake upgrade on your Chevy, you will have equal or better brakes than a stock F150. No getting around the stock-to-stock comparo, though.

Also, in regards to rotor warpage...most of that is old mechanics tales. Rotors do not warp often, but more often will develop "hot" spots on the surface, which leads to that pulsing feeling, and which reduces pad life. It all causes us to think that our rotors are warped, when they really are not. Regardless, when the pulsing starts, you know it will only get worse, and the only way to fix it is to true up the rotors.
    You are correct, NAPA gives dimensions of F150 rotors as 13.78" in diameter and 1.34" in thickness.

As far as what each truck weighs, I have seen so many numbers for curb weight I would have to see each of them on a scale. I've seen anywhere from 5099lbs to 5425lbs for the Silverado. I have a hard time believing that the F150 is a lighter truck when the F150 appears to be a little larger truck than the Silverado.

When it comes to braking, my old 2008 and new 2013 Silverado have excellent feeling brakes, far superior to my old 1998 W/T.

I'll bet there is a world of braking diff between that '98 and the '13!! My '01 stops okay, but not as well as I would like. At some point, I will do a Brembo or similar brake upgrade ($800+). Regardless, the best way to not worry about it too much is drive sensibly, right? Took me a lot of years to realize that...
    Jim

Legend

with brake rotors the larger the diameter the greater the braking effort control. this would help the ABS to get the braking slippage to correct faster. with a thicker rotor you have the ability to dissipate more heat.

with rotor distortions this is most often [with the proper oem spec pads] a result of a brake component failure. caliper/pads stuck/hoses......etc...

the more a rotor is worn/cut the greater the chance of rotor distortions.

the ford vehicle may may be heavier in the front so ford had to increase the rotors size to handle it.

You are correct that the common way to achieve better braking is a larger rotor. As those are really expensive, i am wondering if it would be cheaper to put on a better caliper...i.e. 6 piston vs 4 (front) or 4 vs 2 (rear). Any idea on that? Also, I have heard very good things about Hawk's best pads. I know that pads can be easily duplicated by any maker, but there must be pads that focus on grip, rather than focusing on not throwing some much dust, or how "pretty" they are. Ideas???

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

One of the first upgrades I have done to my trucks is bigger brakes Stock just does not do it for me the way I drive..
    I've gone with SSBC most of the time with Hawk Pads..

If you want to see big Stock brakes go look at the Tundra... They did the homework...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    I'll bet there is a world of braking diff between that '98 and the '13!! My '01 stops okay, but not as well as I would like. At some point, I will do a Brembo or similar brake upgrade ($800+). Regardless, the best way to not worry about it too much is drive sensibly, right? Took me a lot of years to realize that...
    Jim
    I got rid of the 98 back in 2002 so my memory of it is not that good. From what I can remember, the 98 had OK brakes, but nothing like the 2013.

you said that you installed "bigger brakes", right? I checked the price for SSBC's 14" rotor kit, and it was $1400 per wheel. Did you really spend $5500 on brakes for your truck? There is nothing wrong with that, but if you did something less costly, and know for a fact you are stopping faster, what was it?

Jim

Legend

rotors and pads are designed and tested [I did this on test vehicles] to be compatible and create the proper stopping distance . when you buy non oem spec rotors most times you will see they recommend using specific pads. if the caliper surface area is increased then you would need more pistons.

you must be careful to install all 4 wheels of braking components so that these will give the same front /back brake effort. matched set.

even if you replace pads front /rear should be the same manufacturer. ABS could go wacky ..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by