GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Moog or Timken?

Default Moog or Timken?

Replacing the front hub assemblies soon, I have used moog before with no issues but a shop here that I trust highly recommends timken. Haven't used them but have read good things so far. Anyone hve experience with timken on their gm?

I was going to post the same question this afternoon! I have always used Timken and never had an issue. I used them on my 95 4x4 running 38.5" tires and they lasted. I also put them on my 02 2wd silverado with no issues. I have used moog chassis parts (ball joints, tie rod ends) and have never been disappointed. I have never used a moog hub assembly, I would be interested in others input also. With online discounts from a certain parts store I can get the moog considerably cheaper than a timken and pick it up at the local store. (around $115)

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I was going to post the same question this afternoon! I have always used Timken and never had an issue. I used them on my 95 4x4 running 38.5" tires and they lasted. I also put them on my 02 2wd silverado with no issues. I have used moog chassis parts (ball joints, tie rod ends) and have never been disappointed. I have never used a moog hub assembly, I would be interested in others input also. With online discounts from a certain parts store I can get the moog considerably cheaper than a timken and pick it up at the local store. (around $115)
    I just looked and found timken hubs for $105 from two different vendors. About the same price after my discounts for the moog parts

wow, that is cheap! I guess that I am still curious about others opinions on the moog hubs

I personally haven't used the Moog unit bearings, but I can testify to the very high quality of their other suspension products. I guess it would come down to the price and availability for me.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

I used Timkin on my exploder and there were no issues. I have always heard good things about them so I just defaulted to them based on the great reviews. And with moog. I usually get their ball joints because they are some of the best in my opinion. And I like that you can get the ones with the zerk fitting so you can grease them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kinson33 View Post
    I just looked and found timken hubs for $105 from two different vendors. About the same price after my discounts for the moog parts
    Get the moog part # and check amazon. They have mine for $85 with free shipping. The timken is $114 with free shipping. I will probably be buying the timken, I know that moog makes quality chassis parts, but have not used them for hubs
    Last edited by Pikey; 01-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Timken it is then, I like moog but it sounds like most have used timken for hubs.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I bought 2 cheap hubs off ebay from A1autopoarts, they were for a 2001 Alero. Got both of them for $40.00, brand new off brand whatever. Going strong for 30,000+ miles, funny thing is I was in the Chevy dealer a few weeks ago and they got a UPS shipment in. Well guess what? They had 4 hubs sitting on the desk for customer cars, (Cobalt, Grand am) they were in the same box as mine and they had the A1autoparts shipping label on them. Dimes to dollars the dealer charged about $500.00 for those hubs, which they say are ACDELCO...

Anyways I buy what's the cheapest, used MOOG for driveshaft stuff. Won't buy Timken any more.

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I bought 2 cheap hubs off ebay from A1autopoarts, they were for a 2001 Alero. Got both of them for $40.00, brand new off brand whatever. Going strong for 30,000+ miles, funny thing is I was in the Chevy dealer a few weeks ago and they got a UPS shipment in. Well guess what? They had 4 hubs sitting on the desk for customer cars, (Cobalt, Grand am) they were in the same box as mine and they had the A1autoparts shipping label on them. Dimes to dollars the dealer charged about $500.00 for those hubs, which they say are ACDELCO...

Anyways I buy what's the cheapest, used MOOG for driveshaft stuff. Won't buy Timken any more.
    I hear ya, I took shortcuts a few times before though with previous trucks and it didn't turn out well.

- - - Updated - - -

I hear ya, I took shortcuts a few times before though with previous trucks and it didn't turn out well. I don't trust many mechanics which is why I always supply the parts and have even gone as far as marking parts in certain places to make sure they used them. Call me paranoid but I've heard enough horror stories with shops in my line of work but luckily have only been ripped off once.