GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 10,000K vs 6000K HID

heres some pictures i took while switching my HID's i currently have (10000K) to my whiter light (6000K)

here was 10,000K before...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	47943

here is 6000K (left) and 10000K (right)

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	47944

heres 6000K, (my new setup)

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	47945

here is 10000K (left) and 6000K (right)

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	47946

all 6000K

Name:	photo 5.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	47947

thought this might help some people with first hand experience on the color difference between the two.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Are those 55w or 35 w cause that makes a difference.?
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    Are those 55w or 35 w cause that makes a difference.?
    \

This is true.. Are you using the same Ballast? and what is the Wattage of it?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Based on the amount of glare and the fact that I've seen Nak's truck (which has 35w HIDs in it) and his doesn't do this, I'm betting on 55w HIDs. And if they're not 55w then I'm baffled as to why there's so much glare.

Consider that what the camera sees a human coming toward you also sees. That big ball of white and the angled bands of light constitute glare that the camera has captured. Depending on the angle of approach of the onlooker, that could be blindingly bad.

it is indeed 35W, and i am using the same ballasts as before, actually from a previous thread i posted I am shocked as to the incredibly miniscule amount of glare my headlights produce. there is practically no glare in these headlights the only reason you may think so from the forward facing pictures is because i have yet to adjust my headlights after taking my grill guard, bumper, and valance off my truck (about 150 pounds total) so yes they are shooting up more than necessary but i will be re-aiming to DOT specs tonight (2" drop at 25 feet)

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    there is practically no glare in these headlights the only reason you may think so from the forward facing pictures is because i have yet to adjust my headlights after taking my grill guard, bumper, and valance off my truck (about 150 pounds total) so yes they are shooting up more than necessary but i will be re-aiming to DOT specs tonight (2" drop at 25 feet)
    Ahh that makes sense. And 35w? Surprisingly bright for 35w.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Ahh that makes sense. And 35w? Surprisingly bright for 35w.
    yessir it is indeed 35 Watts, my one saying i apply to people who try to judge light output based on photographs, there is no comparison to the human eye when judging light output, a camera can make it look amazing, or can make it look pathetic, it all comes down to what you see in person.

Ive ordered 4 different sets of bulbs and ballasts through intensehid.com, the bulbs i just swapped out (other than sitting for about 2 years) have lasted more than 4 years now. and my other sets of bulbs and ballasts have never failed either (knock on wood). Best website HID source i have used for my needs.

I agree with Reggie, I was trying to take a picture of the amazing sunrise his morning on my way to work, and what looked like a beautiful cotton candy sky from anyone's view, looked like a giant fireball from my camera (on my phone) which usually takes really good pictures....

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly wish I would have gone with 6k. I have 55w 10k in my Tahoe. Bright, probably too bright... Just not feeling it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    I agree with Reggie, I was trying to take a picture of the amazing sunrise his morning on my way to work, and what looked like a beautiful cotton candy sky from anyone's view, looked like a giant fireball from my camera (on my phone) which usually takes really good pictures....

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly wish I would have gone with 6k. I have 55w 10k in my Tahoe. Bright, probably too bright... Just not feeling it anymore.
    the only difference between 6k and 10k is color, 6k is way closer to white (4300K is pure white) so if you were to switch to 6k your light would be whiter, but if you think its too bright right now, 6k will actually be brighter too. the farther you get from 4300K, the more usable light output you lose, so technically at 10k you have alot less light output but its still at least 2x brigther than halogen

oh and the only real reason i switched to 6k from 10k (I absolutely love 10K by the way!!!) was because I really just dont want to take a risk for cops to pull me over for any pity reason, they always take advantage, I'd rather put normal white light on my truck and not run the risk of driving by a bored cop one night on the way home from a bar, and him wanting to pull me over for having what he would say is "blue" light, then he smells alcohol, then..... just avoid the situation.

***Im using alcohol purely as a reference, but my point is you give them a reason to pull you over, theyll find something to ticket you for.

I understand how they work, And that's why I wanted 6k, And now I'm sick of the blue, I've had aftermarket HID's for ever, and when I first had them, I barely saw anyone with them in my area. Now it seems like every car going down the road has super blue lights, and I just don't want to be like them...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by