GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Happy new owner of 2005 Silverado

    Greetings,

    After having a Kia Rio totalled, I decided it was time to switch back to having a truck. I traded in my 1997 F-250 (which I really do miss), and decided to get something a little nicer. So I bought a 2005 Chevy Silverado. Nice truck, clean, and of course there are things I want to do to it, ie they still make automatic vehicles without cruise control? But I'm happy with it. I miss getting 40MPG on the way back and forth from Pittsburgh, but I like how it feels and I'd rather sit up high than be hunkered down on the road in a soda-can on wheels.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	littlebeast.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	47948

    I haven't looked or researched yet, but are they notorious for any problems?

    - Josh

  2. #2
    Legend


    mfleetwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    7,213
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Congrats on your new ride....Very clean and sharp looking truck!


    Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

    SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

  3. #3

    Default

    Silvy > Rio!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Silvy > Rio!
    You aren't kidding....

    So I've been doing some research on things for my truck I'd LIKE to have, because it's like owning a house, changing it and upgrading it is a constant thing. Of course body modifications are always a "want", but I am going for functionality first. I am looking at replacing the turn signal stock and adding one with cruise control, then tap into the DIS. I seen a couple places and threads on doing them, so the procedure doesn't look to difficult. Can't really be any more difficult then replacing the GEM module in my old F-250.

    I'm surprised that the truck didn't comes with options you'd think a truck would come with. I guess I took it for granted that my old F-250 came with everything. So just to make sure that I know where to look. the code for the gear ratio is located in the glove compartment? I want to add a tow package to the truck so I can pull a trailer.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yea theres one i can think of if it has been replaced. That is the ac/heat fan resistor pack. Does the ac have all 5 speeds working? When i bought my 06 used it started out with no 5 the lost 4. Congrats on the new ride time to cover up the chrome lol

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
    Yea theres one i can think of if it has been replaced. That is the ac/heat fan resistor pack. Does the ac have all 5 speeds working? When i bought my 06 used it started out with no 5 the lost 4. Congrats on the new ride time to cover up the chrome lol
    I fully agree, chrome on a truck never looks good, neither does large rims (just my $.02). I'd like to find some 6 lug aluminum wheels from an Avalanche or something but I don't want 18" 's.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post
    I fully agree, chrome on a truck never looks good, neither does large rims (just my $.02). I'd like to find some 6 lug aluminum wheels from an Avalanche or something but I don't want 18" 's.
    Also does the center front seat fold down at all? Cant figure that one out.

  7. #7

    Default

    check out craigslist for deals on wheels. if you are not familiar with that, go to craigslist "dot" com, then go to your town/area, then auto parts, then type in "17 wheels" (for 17"), or "silverado wheels". you will see a lot of stuff to look over.

  8. #8

    Default

    I didn't think that you could get a Silverado without cruise control unless it was a W/T. That looks to be an LS.

    IMO, that truck would look good with some silver and black machined aluminum wheels. As far as chrome, chrome door handles look great on a truck.

    2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab


    Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

  9. #9

    Default

    I did find the first few things I want to do to it. Cruise is a definite, possibly find a folding center front seat, tap into the DIS, and some fog lights. I'm looking for all OEM parts though. I'll have to see what I can do. I did find the cruise stalk that just plugs in (since it appears my truck already has cruise built in).

    I have to say this seems to be MUCH easier than trying to put cruise in a vehicle that didn't have it to begin with.

  10. #10
    Master Mechanic silverhobey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    888
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post
    You aren't kidding....

    So I've been doing some research on things for my truck I'd LIKE to have, because it's like owning a house, changing it and upgrading it is a constant thing. Of course body modifications are always a "want", but I am going for functionality first. I am looking at replacing the turn signal stock and adding one with cruise control, then tap into the DIS. I seen a couple places and threads on doing them, so the procedure doesn't look to difficult. Can't really be any more difficult then replacing the GEM module in my old F-250.

    I'm surprised that the truck didn't comes with options you'd think a truck would come with. I guess I took it for granted that my old F-250 came with everything. So just to make sure that I know where to look. the code for the gear ratio is located in the glove compartment? I want to add a tow package to the truck so I can pull a trailer.
    welcome aboard....if I am not mistaken, most 250's of any brand vehicle come
    with quite a few options .....Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

    ---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

    ---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

    ---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

    ---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chevrolet : Silverado 2500 LS 2005 2500HD LS 2WD 6.0L V8 1 TEXAS OWNER
    By parts bot in forum Chevy Trucks For Sale eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 12:20 PM
  2. Chevrolet : Silverado 2500 LS 2005 2500HD LS 2WD 6.0L V8 1 TEXAS OWNER
    By parts bot in forum Chevy Trucks For Sale eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM
  3. Chevrolet : Silverado 2500 LS 2005 2500HD LS 4x4 Diesel 1 TEXAS OWNER
    By parts bot in forum Chevy Trucks For Sale eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2011, 12:00 PM
  4. Chevrolet : Silverado 2500 LS 2005 2500HD LS 4x4 Diesel 1 TEXAS OWNER
    By parts bot in forum Chevy Trucks For Sale eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
  5. Happy Suburban Owner
    By brehemajac in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •