GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Happy new owner of 2005 Silverado

Greetings,

After having a Kia Rio totalled, I decided it was time to switch back to having a truck. I traded in my 1997 F-250 (which I really do miss), and decided to get something a little nicer. So I bought a 2005 Chevy Silverado. Nice truck, clean, and of course there are things I want to do to it, ie they still make automatic vehicles without cruise control? But I'm happy with it. I miss getting 40MPG on the way back and forth from Pittsburgh, but I like how it feels and I'd rather sit up high than be hunkered down on the road in a soda-can on wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	littlebeast.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	47948

I haven't looked or researched yet, but are they notorious for any problems?

- Josh

Legend

Blog Entries

Congrats on your new ride....Very clean and sharp looking truck!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Silvy > Rio!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Silvy > Rio!
    You aren't kidding....

So I've been doing some research on things for my truck I'd LIKE to have, because it's like owning a house, changing it and upgrading it is a constant thing. Of course body modifications are always a "want", but I am going for functionality first. I am looking at replacing the turn signal stock and adding one with cruise control, then tap into the DIS. I seen a couple places and threads on doing them, so the procedure doesn't look to difficult. Can't really be any more difficult then replacing the GEM module in my old F-250.

I'm surprised that the truck didn't comes with options you'd think a truck would come with. I guess I took it for granted that my old F-250 came with everything. So just to make sure that I know where to look. the code for the gear ratio is located in the glove compartment? I want to add a tow package to the truck so I can pull a trailer.

Yea theres one i can think of if it has been replaced. That is the ac/heat fan resistor pack. Does the ac have all 5 speeds working? When i bought my 06 used it started out with no 5 the lost 4. Congrats on the new ride time to cover up the chrome lol

Quote Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
    Yea theres one i can think of if it has been replaced. That is the ac/heat fan resistor pack. Does the ac have all 5 speeds working? When i bought my 06 used it started out with no 5 the lost 4. Congrats on the new ride time to cover up the chrome lol
    I fully agree, chrome on a truck never looks good, neither does large rims (just my $.02). I'd like to find some 6 lug aluminum wheels from an Avalanche or something but I don't want 18" 's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post
    I fully agree, chrome on a truck never looks good, neither does large rims (just my $.02). I'd like to find some 6 lug aluminum wheels from an Avalanche or something but I don't want 18" 's.
    Also does the center front seat fold down at all? Cant figure that one out.

check out craigslist for deals on wheels. if you are not familiar with that, go to craigslist "dot" com, then go to your town/area, then auto parts, then type in "17 wheels" (for 17"), or "silverado wheels". you will see a lot of stuff to look over.

I didn't think that you could get a Silverado without cruise control unless it was a W/T. That looks to be an LS.

IMO, that truck would look good with some silver and black machined aluminum wheels. As far as chrome, chrome door handles look great on a truck.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I did find the first few things I want to do to it. Cruise is a definite, possibly find a folding center front seat, tap into the DIS, and some fog lights. I'm looking for all OEM parts though. I'll have to see what I can do. I did find the cruise stalk that just plugs in (since it appears my truck already has cruise built in).

I have to say this seems to be MUCH easier than trying to put cruise in a vehicle that didn't have it to begin with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post
    You aren't kidding....

So I've been doing some research on things for my truck I'd LIKE to have, because it's like owning a house, changing it and upgrading it is a constant thing. Of course body modifications are always a "want", but I am going for functionality first. I am looking at replacing the turn signal stock and adding one with cruise control, then tap into the DIS. I seen a couple places and threads on doing them, so the procedure doesn't look to difficult. Can't really be any more difficult then replacing the GEM module in my old F-250.

I'm surprised that the truck didn't comes with options you'd think a truck would come with. I guess I took it for granted that my old F-250 came with everything. So just to make sure that I know where to look. the code for the gear ratio is located in the glove compartment? I want to add a tow package to the truck so I can pull a trailer.
    welcome aboard....if I am not mistaken, most 250's of any brand vehicle come
    with quite a few options .....Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast